1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Headset or separate Mic & headphones?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 23 Sep 2012.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I currently have a set of Sennheiser PC 350 Siberia V2 and to be quite honest I am not to impressed particularly with the microphone part of the headset.

I do not use them often but but on occasion do need something for gaming. So I was wondering separate microphone and headphones or all in one again. Because I use them so rarely I am not looking to spend much cash on either.

So looking for suggestions and advice on either a headset or separate mic and phones.

2. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

I have always gone for a separate headphone / mic set, especially on a budget.

Reason being that I think a good set of budget headphones and a separate cheap mic will outperform any budget all-in-one combo.

Personally I use a set of Sennheiser HD202 headphones and a cheapy £3 desk mic.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I use a pair of M-Audio Q40 headphones for listening and a cheapo logitech desk mic. The headphones sound great and have quite a lot of bass which is nice when playing games. The mic is the cheapest I could find but it does the job without any problems what so ever.

4. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

Anything from here (http://astrogaming.com/) works fantastic. I originally got them for gaming, as their name implies, but everyone I talk to on it asks me what I am using.

I personally have the A40's (wired). At $250.00 it isn't cheap, but I have definitely got my bang for the buck.

5. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

[​IMG]

6. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Id recommend the steelseries 5h v2 as a friend of mine has them and there crystal clear and the mic is clear as a bell...

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Seperate mic and headset. No point in getting an integrated one.

8. jifbo

jifbo What's a Dremel?

Personally, I like a combined one to avoid picking up all the background noise in the room, particularly in a crowded area. That said, I have used good ones as well as bad all-in-one headsets. I would go for a decent combined headset.

9. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

which ones do you have, the Siberia V2 or the PC350?

I'd be surprised if you have mic problems with the PC350, Sennheiser mics are pretty decent (I have the PC360)

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Razer Carcharias here. Best headset I've ever bought, and the only thing I'd want to upgrade to would be the Tiamat.

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Sounds like a downgrade according to the general consensus on physical 5.1 headphones :)

They have several smaller (lesser quality) speakers that don't sound as good as most normal models, and reports of the surround soundness of them tend to mention a lack of being impressed. The way forward is headphones with a wide soundstage, and possibly a decent sound card. You only have two ears and decent headphones portray soundstage by mimicking the way the ears perceive direction, resulting in an experience way more natural than any 5.1 headset can provide.

Also anything Astro is overpriced for what it is in terms of sound. Beware gamers!

Last edited: 24 Sep 2012
  12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have a love/hate relationship with headsets. I love what they do and think they sound great. However, every single one I’ve used has broken within a year.

I’ve done a shedload of research on user reviews from every site under the sun, and it appears the Carcharias have the best build quality, as there are very few users reporting the product breaking.

I think I may pick up a pair myself since my Vulcans broke and I got a refund.

That said, I REALLY want the new Razer Blackshark but very $$$

[​IMG]

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

This thread pops up and I just received my Speed Link Medusa 5.1 V2's £46 inc VAT from Scan.

I am currently testing them out. So will post back once I have set my preferred sound levels.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The V2,I would not call it problems I just am not overly keen on them.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Look forward to reading it.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've just ordered the Carcharias. I've had already tried a Speedlink Medusa (sorry Dom, worst headset I've tried for sound quality), Logitech G35 (awesome headphones, but first one developed a whine and was RMA'd. Also, they all have weak joints, and problem with sound balance when 5.1 simulation was off), and Asus Vulcan (great, but mic picks up sound from headphones and then broke).

When they arrive, I'll also be doing a full review for RigAdvice. :thumb:

17. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I wrote a short review Clicky

Thought I might put my Wordpress to some good use. xD

Too bad to be honest I find this headset perfect for what i intend to use it for. I don't have the money to spend on a more expensive headset and Lassar recommended the Medusa V2. he did state he had issues with the Version 1 and sent them back twice until he got the V2's and has had no issues since.

If I could of afforded the Carcharias I would have bought them.

18. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Gimme Carchari-five!

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Might have a look at those myself,still cannot decide whether to go separate or not though.

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

As I said in the review I have been wearing them for several hours now they arrived around 11am. And have had them on for quite sometime. The interference in the left earpiece is bugging me a little but only when sound is low.