1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GlobalFoundries announces 14nm FinFET process

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Sep 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Interesting times in the process shrinking business. I remember an article in CPC years ago talking about going from 65nm to 45nm and that 32nm was possible.
    I enjoy seeing how problems get solved or worked around.

3. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

They cannot deliver 28 nm product while TSMC has been shipping those in volume since 2011 yet they are boasting about 14 nm, FinFET to top it off. They are conveniently forgetting to mention that products based on this process (mobile, as the name implies) are likely to become avaliable only in 2014-15, with high performance parts to be delayed further still.

4. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

I'm forever surprised with every positive article Bit-Tech has of Global Foundaries. The company delayed Llano for months, and Trinity products are a trickle on what should be a mature process. You have no information on when 28nm will be ready, even while competitor TSMC has had products on the market since the beginning of the year, and since then we've seen 22nm products from Intel.

Now you're taking news from GF about an even more advanced process at complete face value... this is journalism?

And I'm not wanting GF to fail in the slightest, that doesn't mean they're above honest criticism.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you know of a source willing to talk on the record about issues at GlobalFoundries, let me know.
    If I was "taking news from [GlobalFoundries] about an even more advanced process at complete face value," I wouldn't have specifically pointed out that it's not actually a 14nm process node but a hybrid between 20nm and 14nm.