1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Downgrade from 8 to 7 - GPT problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by wluv, 24 Sep 2012.

1. wluv

wluv What's a Dremel?

Hey there,

normally it is enough to lurk around, when i have a software or hardware problem, but now i am nearly desperate.
    I bough a new Notebook the Asus ux32vd(-r4002v), however it was send with windows 7 home, i upgraded it to windows 7 prof, and got talked into windows 8 by a friend, so i upgraded it.
    I really did not like it, so i erased it from my harddrive and tried to install windows 7 again.
    As i was starting to delete and install windows, all necessary partitions were GPT format and you CAN'T install win7 on GPT. So i used this http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045 and tried to get pass the barrier of GPT.
    However, i followed each step and finished to initialise a usb with windows 7 (uefi-able), but when i choose the uefi mode, it normally starts the windows 8 recovery mode (which fails, because everything is deleted) and without uefi i get an error, which says i need a driver installed for my dvd reader, but the ux32vd has no dvd reader.

I am out of ideas, i am considering to delete all partitions and re-do them, so that there is no GPT.
    //The ux32cd has a recovery boot, but it won't work once i upgraded from home to prof.
    //I'd have no problem with installing windows 8 again, as long as i have a functional OS again

I`d be really glad, if this odyssey is going to end soon.
    Regards

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You should get used to Windows 8, because all this won't go away on Windows 9.
    The learning curve of Windows 8 is steep, I agree. And the default layout of the Start Screen is terrible. But once you create and name your groups, add folders, and your programs, then it becomes really nice and enjoyable to use.

Here is the one of my laptop:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, all the folder and most used programs are close to the bottom right corner where my mouse is. And the least used are the far left, where I need to scroll to get. In my case, my laptop isn't a gaming laptop, so gaming on it, is rare. I use my desktop. So the order of icons will be different, as you can image (and have more program).

The above screen shots is old, now it's a bit more different, where I perfected the layout based on my needs.

Hope this helps, making your Windows 8 experience more enjoyable.

3. wluv

wluv What's a Dremel?

Well, ok, i will force myself into windows8, but for now there are no drivers for special programs (e.g. smart gesture "multitouch")

However, what i did till now: Linux ubuntu on a usb-stick und deleted all partitions, i hoped to get rid off the GPT, but i am still stucked with it, now i am currently flashing windows 8 to install it, because it should ignore the GPT.

4. wluv

wluv What's a Dremel?

I got rid off the GPT and was now able to install Windows 7 (for now), i started linux through an usb and cleared the HDD with:

Linux/Unix:
    Method #1:
    1. Press CTRL-ALT-F2 or F3.
    2. Type "parted /dev/<devicename>", usually "parted /dev/sda".
    3. Once inside parted type "mktable":
    -> Table type: msdos
    -> Destroy data: yes
    -> quit
    4. GPT should now be removed.
    5. Continue with install.

Method #2:
    1. fdisk -s /dev/<devicename> --- This gets the blocksize of the device.
    Make the last five digits of this number zeros. Example: fdisk -s /dev/sda
    Will show an error about GPT, and then the block size: 39078144
    Change to 39000000 which equals our blockcount
    2. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/devicename bs=1k seek=blockcount
    3. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/devicename bs=1k count=20

Method #3:
    1. Press CTRL-ALT-F2 or F3.
    2. Type: "dd if=/dev/<devicename" of=/dev/zero bs=4k"
    3. When done, continue with install.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

What I did for my laptop (not for what you have, I don't have these technologies), is to use Windows 7 drivers. I simply right-click on the setup, select properties, and make it run under compatibility mode set for Windows 7. It's just to by-pass the OS check. System runs smooth as butter. The exception was the GPU, I had to use Windows 8 drivers from Nvidia (has a Quadro) to get full performance from it. If teh above method doesn't work, try and installing the drivers from Device Manager (extract the setup, or run it and Alt+Tab) open Device Manager, and link where the driver setup extracted the files (if you are running it on the back, it's probably extracted in the Temp directory). The reason why it all worked, is because Windows 8 core part of the OS wasn't really changed. Just optimizations, mostly on graphics.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Goodjob. I see you used parted. Just an FYI Gparted can be used to modify partitions with a gui. Its in ubuntu live cds and available as its own bootable iso. I use it to set up partitions before installing a linux distro.