1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Cant get 3tb drive to show in Win7 x64 or NAS

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by S1KO85, 30 Sep 2012.

1. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

After some help here guys.

Bought a NAS yesterday (Netgear Ready NAS Duo v2 RND2000) when I put my existing HD in (1.5TB NTFS formatted), it kept saying 'Corrupt Boot' in the Raidar application that came with it. I spoke to netgear support who said it was because the disk already had data on it. Since I didn't want to lose the data i bought a new Western Digital 3tb drive that was on their compatibility list: the Caviar green (WD-30EZRX).

this time it tried to set up and said that it would be updating and take about an hour - 15 mins later it just sat their with 'corrupt boot' again. I waited 2 hours in case it was part of the process and then called their support again. Went through some reset to factory settings etc but no real help. they did suggest trying to format NTFS in my desktop.

my desktop is based around a Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 with a 2500k with Win7 x64 ultimate on a vertex 2 ssd. I had two other drives in the system and recently picked up a 256gb samsung SSD (all works fine.)

when I plug in the 3TB drive through the SATA bays in my corsair 800D. it won't show in Windows. when I look for it in the Disk unlocker app that came with the motherboard to use 3TB drives, it won't show there either.

When I look in the Bios it shows that something is connected, but has no name (just blank) and says it is 0.0GB. Same if I try to do a clean install of Windows.

I am trying to format it to NTFS so I can try it in the NAS

Anybody got any ideas?

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Have you checked if it comes up under disk management?

Start -> Right click Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management

Do you have another machine you could plug it into ?

3. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

No, it doesn't show. I only have the NAS and it wasn't working in that...

4. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

It does show as 'ATA device' in device manager - but it also says no drivers are installed...
    :eyebrow:

5. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Up to a a year or two ago (this has probably changed) most disk controller didn't support drives over 2TB sizes. have you tried connecting with both the SATA2 and 3 controller?

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

bios update maybe?

7. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

8. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

Bios is 3304 which is pretty recent. Certainly nothing mentioned in the new one about increased support.

I was under the impression that if the OS/Hardware did not support the disk, it would just show as a smaller device?

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

no you shouldn't need to mess with the jumpers, but you might need to get one of those highpoint 620 pcie sata cards

10. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

really don't want to buy anything else. looking online it seems as though most people can get it working on my MB with little issue...

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it is possible for the drive to be faulty, have you tried a different sata cable?

12. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

Yep. I am going to try it on the esata cable as well...

The drive does seem quite loud when it spins up...a similar sound to a fan spinning with your finger on the centre...not that I do that...:worried:

luckily I live just round the corner from Novatech where I bought it (and the NAS). I would like to be sure before I go down that route...

13. narwen

narwen narwen

the m/b supports large hard drives. if it clicking a lot then its probably faulty,

14. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Novatech are pretty good, just go back to them with it and they can test it while you wait (at least they have done in the past for me at their portsmouth store).