1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals USB hubs giving me grief-Random disconnects

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by r4tch3t, 30 Sep 2012.

1. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Hey bit-tech I have recently bought a 7 port powered hub, however it was faultyish, I got a replacement of the same kind and it sort of works but not for anything useful. I then bought a 4 port hub from a different place and had the same issues.

First off Specs
    XPS1530m
    Core 2 2.5GHz
    4GB
    64GB SSD
    m8600GT

Now it used to have 3 USB ports but one had one of the pins become bent and is now unusable.
    This leaves me with 2 ports.
    I have 3 things I would like to have plugged in at all times and have room for USB sticks etc.
    The things are a mouse, USB headset and a Dual bay Sata dock.

Now when I connect the mouse to the hub it cuts out every couple of seconds, so that if I move the mouse across the scrren slowely every so often it will stop then continue on.

When I connect the Dock it connects and a message says my device could run faster if I connect it to a USB 2.0 port. It will stay connected for 30 seconds or so then dissconnect and reconnect sometimes failing to recognise the drives (You need to format disk X: to use it)

When I connect the Headset it runs fairly well but cuts out every couple of minutes.

I have disabled power saving and it didn't help. All devicves work fine in either port on the PC. When more than one device is connected to the hub the problems are exacerbated, occuring more frequently.

Any help would be appreciated as I would really like to be able to use the hub as my next course of action would be to replace the USB port, but I don't want to open up my laptop again as it's on it's last legs and it may not wake from surgery.

2. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

its the USB hub version 1??, if it is many many of the devices you have will requiere USB v2 to work propertly, What i can see its happining its you're having a bandwidth problem, the devices will compete for bandwidht inside the HUB, and if we add to this the fact that it is indeed USB v1 then the bandwidth will be even less, giving you bottlenecks.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

It is a V2 hub, and I would expect lower throughput anyway.
    It is the cutting out that is the problem, they have to reconnect each time and half the time I have to plug them in again to get them to be recognised.

4. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Is the hub powered?
    Sounds like something is causing the devices to lose power perhaps?

Maybe try and rebuild the USB stacks.

Disconnect the hub and all other USB devices and plug only your mouse and keyboard into the motherboard.

Then try this:

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/non-recognized-usb-external-port-by-windows-7-64/d363a12a-d656-4337-ae17-4b763102b054

Also have a look at your Administrative events in Event Viewer for any possible clues:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Open-Event-Viewer

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

USB Pins bent? How did that happen? Any other damage done at the same time? Is it possible a 'bent' pin is shorting?

6. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

As Guinevere mentions,
    Sometimes there are 4 pins left if the plastic inner breaks off, Check to see if they are touching?

Can you provide a pic of the bent pin?

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The bent pin was on the 3rd USB port, I removed the pin as it was quite loose. I don;t know how it happened, it was over a year ago.
    The other 2 USB ports (on the other side of the laptop) are perfectly fine. I have tried both powered and unpowered hubs and all to the same result.
    Will try the clearing of USB devices.