1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Multiple LCD/VFD Displays One Case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by randomhero, 26 Sep 2012.

1. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Hi

I'm currently planning a "HTSC" (Home Theater Server Computer).
    I was wondering if anybody knew how/if it's possible to connect multiple LCD/VFD Displays to a computer and have them showing different information? :confused:

Example:
    Display 1: XBMC(Menu location/Video playing/Track Playing/Etc.)
    Display 2: CPU(Usage/Clockspeed/Etc)
    Display 3: GPU(Usage/Clockspeed/Etc)
    Display 4: HDD(s)(Storage space used/Storagespace free/Etc)

Also if anyone have a guide to getting a LCD/VFD to work with XBMC please post it here. :thumb:

I've found pictures like this online, but I'm not sure if they show live data or just static stored text.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like there is at least one of them showing live data (Temperature :(monitor), But I really hope there it is possible to have multiple LCD/VFD displays show different sets of live data.

I've been looking at these displays Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon » GX24064-TCI-BBI , Anyone know if it works with XBMC?

2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

showing diff data should not be too gawd awful hard... maybe give the hardware section a quick looksy?

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's possible; you just have to have an equivalent number of instances of the LCD display interface program (like e.g. LCDC) running, each configured for a different display and set to display different information.

4. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Last edited: 30 Sep 2012
  5. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

The software Crystalfontz uses can handle multiple simultaneous panels. I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with it, though - after I did a fresh install when I got an SSD, I haven't been able to get it working again. The guy who writes the software is awesome and super-responsive, but the modding community didn't quite take up Crystalfontz in a serious way. Also, their panels don't seem to like any software but their own CrystalControl.

I guess what I mean by all that is, don't use Crystalfontz displays.

6. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Thanks for the replies guys, for some strange reason my subscription to this thread didn't notify me when your replied :confused:

So for 4 displays I'll need 4 diffrent installs of my LCD interface program, and then get each of them to work with each of the displays. Got it :D

Awesome! The display on your picture looks awesome too :D Do you know if it's possible to connect a USB hub to the internal header on the motherboard and have the displays driven from a single hub?

I've never played with XMBC either, but it seems to support VFD's :D

I've been looking at these : Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon » GX24064-TCI-BBI any experience with these?

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It is just make sure it's powered.

8. mingingbollock

Nope i have found that one display per usb header is best , you can run multiple displays on one usb header but they tend to fight each other for bandwidth , i know its not suppost to happen but it does , especially if you are using lots of bling ( lcdstudio ) , character lcd/vfds are much more forgiving

also you can only use one type of controller on one header at one time, so one usb noritake display and say a character usb display using a different contoller will play nice with each other but two controllers of same type is a no go :thumb: least with lcd studio which is my fav

And the matrix orbitals are top notch, loads of fun , plug and play
    great for a first timer, good luck

Last edited: 4 Oct 2012
  9. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

I thought the displays had a separate power connection. When I said driven by a Hub I meant "getting the information" from one hub. I would love to be able to use only one internal header as I need some for cardreaders etc.

I'm not planning to run anything "intensive" on it, just xmbc info and hardware info.

Well that sucks since I was planning on using 4 identical displays. :wallbash:

Good to hear that the displays are good at least :D

10. mingingbollock

I could be wrong :) never had 4 usb displays of the same type to try
    give it a whirl and let us know :thumb:

what usb screens were you planning on using ?

11. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

12. mingingbollock

excellent choice :D give MO a mail i am sure they would be able to answer
    any questions you have , or give their forum a search

I know you can run multiple displays on lcdstudio , although it isnt officially supported and Ray may have removed the ability in the new build , i will have
    a play and let you know ( but i still have a few old builds that do support it ) so if you get stuck give me a poke

good luck , and 4x MO in case , we all want to see that :rock:

13. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Will do! :D

You will see it as soon as I get started on my build ;)