1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Bright Panel: 800D, Liquid, Illuminated Mid Panel =Completed=

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mr_Armageddon, 9 Sep 2012.

1. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

Final Build Pics_04 - Cable Management

Final Build Pics - 04

Here we have my attempt at cable management. I did what I could to keep it clean back there, but it was difficult to deal with that many cables, along with their added thickness due to the sleeving, which looks awesome by the way ;).​

As mentioned before, a higher resolution version of each image can be found at the links below the pictures.

2. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

Final Build Pics_05 - Close Ups

Final Build Pics - 05

Here are some artsy fartsy close up shots :D I'm really not that great with a camera, but I wanted to try and get a few shots with my Nikon D80 of the build that were different from the usual side and angled ones we typically see.​

As mentioned before, a higher resolution version of each image can be found at the links below the pictures.

3. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

Final Build Pics_06 - Workstation

Final Build Pics - 06

Now on to the Workstation. Using a Dell 3011U as the main display, flanked by a 2007FP on each side for a total resolution of 4,960 x 1,600. I really like how everything works together, and all of that screen real estate is great for productivigy... and of course gaming :D.​

Well... that's it! Time to put away the modding/build hat for a while, and enjoy my PC. Thanks to everyone for their support and input. If you guys have any questions for me, I am more than happy to help out. Thanks again.
    :)

The boy 4rm oz likes this.
  4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Lovely finish to it, congrats :)

5. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

Fantastic work and a great project! I have to say I'm extremely envious of your desk and work space! Looks like an amazing set up! Enjoy!

6. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

Mod of the Month Nominee

I was just informed that I have been selected as a nominee for the October mod of the month. I you feel like throwing a vote my way, or just want to check out the other sweet builds this month, click here.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

One of the best documented worklogs I have read in a while, very well done. The project looks great as well and congratulations on your MOTM nomination :thumb:.

8. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

voted for you.. thx, u're very inspiring..

9. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Very nice indeed! Congrats on the nomination! :thumb:

10. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

Really nice build the WC liquid looks amazing in the project and the hardware is also top.

However I am jealous about your desk and workplace, and your three IPS screens (they look IPS)

11. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Great JOB the build is beautiful! Nice craftsmanship on this build. I too am envious of all that desk and work space, especially the 3 screens. When you upgrade your cards you can put your poor little old 580s in a box and send them to me I will give them a nice home and love them like they were my own child.

But seriously Great job on the build it looks beautiful and you should be very proud of you work! Congratz on finishing it.

12. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

Thanks everyone. I am really enjoying the system now that its done, and the entire workspace really came together. I even ended up finding a near identical used desk for my wife, so now we have matching workspaces. But I have to admit, her side of the office isn't as cool as mine, since she doesn't have any neat Starship models on display and is only using one screen and all :D

Yes, all three panels are ISP. The middle is a Dell 3011u Ultrasharp, and the sides are Dell 2007FP Ultrasharps. The primary display I purchased just recently from Amazon, and I picked up the side displays used for around $70 each. It is getting harder and harder to find displays with that resolution (1600x1200). Hopefully I can still get a few good years of use out of them.

Thanks. And I was totally joking about upgrading my 580s. In SLI their performance is spectacular, even with the new monitor at a higher res. I will probably be sticking with the hardware currently in the system for at least another year, maybe even two.

13. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

Thanks to anyone that voted in the Mod of the Month competition. Time to start planning for the next one. :D

:rock: = Build Completed = :rock:

14. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

Anyone seen the announcement of the Corsair 900D case? The thing is a monster, and internally its codename during development was "Godzilla". I really like my 800D, but definitely drooling over the new case. Looks like they took a lot of user feedback, mainly about lack of space for additional radiators, and went well overboard with the new implementation.

Here is the Launch page: http://www.corsair.com/900d

And here is a video shot at CeBit showing off the inside: Corsair Obsidian 900D chassis walkthrough

I had convinced myself I wouldn't be doing another build for a while, but with this case launching, I may reconsider...

[​IMG]

15. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

The day has finally come... I will be getting rid of my liquid cooled GTX 580s in SLI solely for Oculus (pre-order completed). Been contemplating an upgrade for a while, but VR has pushed me to actually doing it. Gaming performance with the 580s was still pretty good, but I know SLI won't cut it for VR so making the much overdue upgrade.

As of this week started using an EVGA 970 Cheesecake+, but planning on getting the X80 (GTX 1080?) Pascal SKU once waterblocks are also available, hopefully around summer time. That will also set off a new Build Log!

[​IMG]

One thing I was a bit concerned about was the Oculus System Compatibility Tool. Everything was green for me except my CPU. They recommend an Intel i5-4590 CPU or greater. Thing is my i7-970 although a few years old, actually beats the i5-4590 in most benchmarks (probably due to it being a hexacore CPU and OC'd to 4.2GHz). I'm hoping that it will still run everything ok, but worry about some sort of software limitation by Oculus that won't allow me to run the VR hardware because it doesn't meet their recommended spec.

[​IMG]

Anyone have any ideas if the "requirements" are actual requirements of just recommendations?

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I doubt that an Oculus Rift would refuse to run on a machine that does not meet their recommendations. And I doubt that your machine would not be powerful enough.

17. Mr_Armageddon

Mr_Armageddon Minimodder

I actually just got a response from Oculus Customer Support. Looks like the Compatibility tool is using the CPU version / generation number and not actual performance metrics, which is why some older CPUs that still perform very well shows as "un-supported". They will not block any hardware from running Oculus Rift, but they can't guarantee how good the user experience will be unless using what they recommend or better. Will just stick it out with what I currently have and test the Rift when it arrives in April.