1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Need help planning simple case mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattyh1995, 10 Oct 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I want to put a simple cover over my power supply, so you can only see the motherboard through the sidewindow. But my knowledge of modding is about -10/10. Never done it before.

I've got a CoolerMaster Storm Stryker case.

I have a few questions, help is appreciated :)

What sort of material should I use?
    How much would it cost?
    What tools would I need?
    How can I fasten it to the case?

[​IMG]

It's a small picture, but that black line across the bottom is where I want it.

2. Valor958

Valor958 What's a Dremel?

I can't see the picture since I'm at work right now, but I'll attempt to answer in a general sense:

What sort of material should I use? - You can use just about any pliable metal, or even acryllic/plexi. It depends what tools you have access too and what look you want in the end. You can get solid color acryllic/plexi, but aluminum or another sheet metal would probably be the best option. Bend and cut it to fit your dimensions.

How much would it cost? - Assuming you use scrap sheet metal, aluminum, etc... I would imagine raw materials would cost maybe 30 and under... I'm 'thinking' in USD, but I would expect similar costs where you are. Scraps from a local supplier should be easy to get.

What tools would I need? - This is a great excuse to get a Dremel. The Dremel 3000 was reviewed here a short while back and looks GREAT. I wouldn't think you'd need a break to bend your metal, but that depends what you get. It also comes to your mounting method. I'd say at least a drill of some sort, and maybe a tap/die set to thread your holes for ease.

How can I fasten it to the case? - Since I can't see where you put the line, I looked at a stock pic from CM's site and will assume it's at/around the base of the PCI slots where they protrude into the case. You could bend the metal into an L shape to cover that bottom area and drill a few holes along the bottom lip and into the piece. You could either secure with screws, or pop rivets even if this is going to be at least semi-permanent. You could also try to fashion a metal flap into a 'hook' or sorts to lock it into place on the support bar running top-to-bottom for the optical/hard drive bays.

Someone may have better/more manageable idea than me, from their experiences, but these are my thoughts. Hope I've offered some help.

3. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I could probably dig some form of sheet metal from somewhere, thanks :) And I saw that review for the Dremel, it looks really useful for pc modding!

And also I was thinking something along the lines of that for mounting, but I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the help :)

4. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

Material options:
    - Metal sheet
    - Acrylic
    - or simply use cardboard and cover it up with carbon sticker..
    - or Thin metal sheet (galvanic plate)

A. Use metal sheet (0.8mm thick or more)
    You'll need rotary tool (dremmel) and some other hardware and tools to bend metal. Of course it is costly. But, the material are similar to your case.

B. Use Acrylic (black glossy, blue, yellow, all rainbow color are available)
    You'll need a special cutter to cut acrylic (plexy glass), and an adequate technique to bend acrylic.

C. The cheapest solution. Cardboard and sticker.. Just use your scissors, and you're done.

D. Thin metal plate (galvanic plate).. As easy as paper cut, but you'll need a special scissors.

Fasten to your case:
    Fot thick metal sheet, and acrylic, you'll need to drill a hole under your case, or use L angle aluminum bar. But if you just want to cover your PSU without damaging / drilling your case, just put the acrylic there on top of your PSU. As long as you dont flip your case upside down, it would be just fine. Sometimes heavy duty double tape works like charm...

5. Valor958

Valor958 What's a Dremel?

Happy to help. A lot comes down to personal style and function in the end, but at least I could offer my thoughts.
    Good luck, let us know how it comes together.