1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Obsessive Compulsive Time Trial Disorder

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 12 Oct 2012.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

<3

I used to play this game with an original CH Flightstick. So many laps.

2. FifteeeCal

FifteeeCal What's a Dremel?

I can't play racing games any other way. I annoy myself sometimes.

3. gm_crop

gm_crop What's a Dremel?

What are the implications of this online then where resets are impossible? Is there still satisfaction there?
    For me GT5 is still a happy blend of ease of play and believable handling, and most of my racing is done in the online shuffle races, where sometimes it's impossible to compete for the win, but the midfield battles are phenomenal. A hard fought 6th can be incredibly satisfying.

4. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

Same. The CH Flightstick was so much better the the keyboard.

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

:hehe: Gran Turismo 3 was my staple gaming diet years ago. A got hold of some sort of unlock for it, so you started off with like 10 million credits. So ditching everything I had already done to start again, this time, everything perfect. From the license tests, to which cars I won in which order. That means Complete an endurance race after a couple hours, win the wrong car, start again. Now do I win?

In fact I struggle when I can't repeat anything over and over again, it just has to be right.

6. GonzoRIP

GonzoRIP What's a Dremel?

sometimes u have to learn to wreck to succeed at racing. u have to learn how to get yourself out of those bad situations so u can recognize them when they pop up again. ive found during qualifying that sometimes all the tweaking and finetuning u are doing is actually slowly but surely ruining your setup and sometimes its best to just reload the default setup and race a few laps then start tweaking again. then once u stop crashing u get to the real fun... trying to shave off hundredths or thousandths of a second every lap

7. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Absolutely Trackmania style behavior. If you even land a jump without being 100% parallel to the road, it's over. You wouldn't understand unless you've played it, but there is no margin for error.

8. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I wondered if someone would say Trackmania. That game is all about shaving off seconds, although it's also more fun and casual than some racing games so it's ok.

Besides Trackmania, I haven't played a racing game quite so OCD since I was a kid. I used to spend forever trying to get the perfect run, and I used to do that in other games too. As I got older though I started caring less and less, and by now, I still do it but no way near as much or as strict.

9. freeclout

freeclout What's a Dremel?

The last game to do this to me was the Mirrors Edge time trials.
    So. many. restarts.. but had to get 3 stars across the board.

10. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I defo relate to this, but it depends on the game. Can't think of examples right now but some games are just more fun to carry on regardless of mistakes whereas others lend themselves more to endless restarts to seek getting it right.

I remember when I first got F1 2011. I was working from home one day when I took a lunch break and booted the game up. I went on to spend the whole afternoon endlessly restarting Monaco just to get a non-crash lap in. It's how I go about learning the track. I honestly must have restarted 100 times. But eventually I won the race in the Lotus and it was one of the most enjoyable afternoon's I've ever spent gaming.

I can also get a bit like this in Fifa, reloading saves repeatedly until I win every game with the crappy team I support that's always cruddy and slow in Fifa.

Surely others are like this in games where you have tight health and ammo limits, constantly quick-saving and quick-loading...?

11. Sutura

Sutura What's a Dremel?

I've never had such an obssesion in racing...I just can't make it perfect. I only care if I pass the level or not. Sometimes I do go back, but that's when there is an achievement I want to earn. Otherwise, I don't care. Precision side-scrollers like Dustforce and Super Meat Boy are just nightmare to do perfect, it's insane.

12. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

I feel you pain

13. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I only had this when I played Moto Racer (1997). I would be furious any time I did anything at all wrong. I would boost for as long as possible, then shift down and brake as quickly as possible through turns, etc. If I felt that I did any one thing at all wrong, I started over.

I may have gotten a little obsessed with Mario Kart 64 too.

14. pucpop

pucpop What's a Dremel?

i loved moto racer, especially the speed bay track. i found it quicker to not use boost on turns, and get really low/tight in the turn then BOOST after the apex - ahh good times

15. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I've done that on racing games since I was a kid. But typically, thats the only way to unlock every hidden item and such in many games (I don't generally play realistic driving sims, usually things like Project Gotham, San Francisco Rush and the like). Actually, I do it on most other games for this same reason. For instance, it was absolutely the only way to get every last unlock in Starfox 64. Many games require this kind of playing, and so you get used to it in general. Actually, those are usually the games I play the most, because they actually reward replay.

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

GT5 had me do this repeatedly. I wanted that perfect race damnit.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

sega rally championship (first game) on teh saturn - which was faster on teh first stage - the celica or the delta :D spent so many hours racing that one

18. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

@ Harlequin

Oh yes, yet for a game that lasted not much more than 5 minutes I cant remember another since where i could replay it so many times ...

Seems to me Mr Bulter that your taking the thrill on improving from the game. And it great to learn what does what on changing the car setup to eek more from a lap.

Tags: Add Tags