1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors A first car?

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 23 Aug 2012.

1. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

My advice if you decide to go for a MK4 Golf

For the 1.6, don't get anything pre 2002. The gearboxes were made of cheese. From the research I've done, it appears the dodgy gearbox (code DUU) was replaced with a stronger gearbox (Code ERT) around 2001, then they were reinforced with bolts in place of the still dodgy rivets around 2002.

In fact, don't get any pre 2002 Golfs, as the earlier ones had issues with the locks (Rectified around 2001 / 2002 - exact year escapes me).

Check service history for window repairs as there is another common fault with the clips within the window mech breaking.

Check the headlining at the back for leaks - another common problem is water leaking from the washer pipe.

Aside from that, I'd recommend one. Bought myself a 1.6 (BCB engine) a couple of weeks ago and I've been rather impressed with it. I've racked up 1000miles in that time and it really hasn't skipped a beat. Only thing is that the head unit is screaming to be replaced with the one I took out my old Clio

Note that a lot of this is based on my pre-purchase research - a good deal could be down to internet scaremongering, but I decided against taking that risk...

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012