1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Origin looted with infinite voucher

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Good move by EA. Allow people to keep their Origin games and they have guaranteed installations on more machines.

3. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

what goes around, comes around.

4. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

Worked via VPN for me. The Origin store has glitches like this pretty regularly.

GravitySmacked likes this.
  5. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Even for 40 "free" games, I still wouldn't install Origin again.

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Why? Because Steam is so speedy at downloading games and opening up? And so easy on RAM usage...

7. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I'm fine with origin. I don't buy many games there, for sure, but I got battlefield premium for cheap from then, using the VPN. Unlike steam they don't track you down for doing it, either.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That is dumb.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just because Steam isn't perfect doesn't justify use of the even less perfect Origin, plus the EA policy of forcing the use of Origin in addition to Steam is retarded.
    Ea should sell its games on Steam as well as Origin, same goes in reverse for Valve games, that way consumers could actually choose and Steam and Valve would be forced to compete and improve, but the way it is currently they have no incentive to improve as they don't compete due to exclusives forcing gamers to use both.

The current situations with digital distribution is like if Tesco had an exclusive on all food and Sainsbury had an exclusive on toilet paper, which would force you to constantly shop in both places.

10. suragh

suragh Derp

All I have to say is GG EA.

11. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Just use your food wrappers. Sorted.

I wish I had seen this. I would have gotten all the battlefield DLC and tried to get back into it again.

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

No, it's like Tesco allowing you to buy Tesco-branded products only from Tesco, and Sainsburys allowing you to buy Sainsbury's branded products only from Sainsburys- which is *exactly* what they do.

A company can sell it's products where and when it likes. You don't to like it since you don't HAVE to buy any of them.

"the EA policy of forcing the use of Origin in addition to Steam is retarded. "

You're not forced to do anything of the sort and I fail to see why Origin is so utterly terrible to you. 40 free games (and, let's face it, many of those games - Dragon Age, Battlefield, C&C, Mass Effect, Dead Space - are superb games) is about a grand's worth of product. You're seriously saying that if someone gave you a grand in cash to spend on games so long as you installed Origin you'd turn it down and yet you'd run Steam on your PC quite happily (which, by the way, gives me a slower download rate than Origin does).

B1GBUD likes this.
  13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

+1 to this!

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I agree with you, although it's not quite the same situation, as you can only buy EA products from Origin, whereas you can buy loads of different publisher's products from Steam.

A closer analogy would be Steam is like a generalist car salesroom, which stocks lots of car brands, whereas Origin is like a dedicated Vauxhall dealership next door; it only sells Vauxhall cars. If I was the Vauxhall dealership, I'd be tempted not to let the generalist salesroom stock our cars, makes much more sense to funnel customers directly to our door and cut out the middle man. Which is exactly what EA has done with Origin - it's common sense.

15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Exactly - EA have sought to protect their direct sales revenue, as opposed to acting as a more 'general' outlet - and fair play to them (even if the Origin client is a bit of a pain!)

16. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Why? Because the last 3 times I installed it I’ve had nothing but trouble with it. Random disconnects in BF3, unable to connect, and last, but certainly not least, my games not showing up when I do eventually connect (I only had BF3 and Mass Effect 3 mind you) and being told by EA that “Sorry bro, our records shows that you don’t have any games on your account yet. You have to buy them before they show up on your account” after asking them why my games isn’t showing up.

Yes, the disconnects etc is probably from flaky internet (Welcome to South Africa) but even with the flaky internet I’ve not had a problem with Steam being stupid about it.

I opened steam just now and checked how long it took to open. Roughly 10 seconds.

Is 10 seconds really that big a deal? As it sit there, with 2 chat windows open from friends who said hello because I wasn't on steam in a day or 2, the memory usage reported by Windows Task Manager sits at 48 260K. Less than 50mb. Skype is using ~63mb. My email program is using ~40. Chrome is using ~140mb. I have Lord of the Rings Online running in windowed mode and that’s using ~900mb.

I can’t imagine why ~50mb memory usage would be an issue when most semi-modern systems have about 4GB or more of the stuff...

Regarding downloading speeds, I’m in South Africa. I’m LUCKY if I can get 1mb out of a 4mb/10mb ADSL line. Maybe in the more “modern” countries where anything above that isn’t some acid induced dream it would make a difference. Both Origin and Steam maxed out at about ~800kb so I didn’t really see a difference between the two.

What I find “dumb” is that instead of asking WHY someone has a different opinion than you about something the first thing people do is to automatically go “That is dumb”.

The only games on Origin that I’d be interested in would be BF3, Mass Effect 3 (which I did buy only to have EA tell me "No you didn't") and maybe the new Alice game.

I have boxed copies of Dragon Age: Origin and Awakening, C&C3 and the expansions, Dead Space 1, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Mirrors Edge. None of them asked me install Origin the last time I checked. And yes, after my experience with EA and Origin, that is exactly what I’m saying. See above RE download speed...

Normally I don’t reply or respond to stuff on forums or wherever (Evident by my post count and join date) and yes, I know this is the INTERNET , but I’m rather surprised that people on BT actually seem to be offended because god forbid, I’ve had a less than orgasmic experience with Origin and I don’t like or want to use it again even if it meant I could get 40 free games of which I might play 3.

Yes, I do know Steam isn’t perfect, far from it actually, but I’ve had less issues and problems with Steam since I started using it (December 2007, Orange box release day purchase) than I’ve had with Origin in the 6 months that I’ve tried using it...

I shudder to think what an uproar it would cause if I mentioned that I’m still using Vista...

In future I’ll just make sure I have the same personal opinion about something before posting shall I? :rolleyes:

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That is why they send you this thing called Purchase Confirmation, with this thing called Order Number.

18. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Oh dear. Argument fail. You can buy more than EA games from Origin. Sega, THQ and other (mostly smaller) developers have their games there. Granted its not a patch on steams 50 billion games but I hear this misinformation quite often.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I run both Origin and Steam and really don't have much of a issue with either of them.

Origin I find it annoying that you cannot stop the stupid advert box opening up when you 1st log in, like you can on Steam but it's just annoying but not enough for me to uninstall it and never try it again.

Steam again I just find the download speeds annoying, as I can never get more than 30Mb-40Mb download speeds from my 100Mb connection regardless of which server I connect to etc, but with Origin I max out at 102Mb download speeds.

The only advantage that I find on Steam is that you can create backup disc's of games you purchase as a digital purchase so, that you can burn a disc and then never have to worry about downloading the whole game again, and I know Origin gives you the option of keeping the installers but I don't find it to much of a issue with downloading the games each time because, I don't have to wait hours for the games to download like I do with Steam.

As for the Voucher thing that happened all I can say is well done EA on holding your hands up to your mistake and honoring the purchases even though the mistake was abused by some people, and to be honest I would have done the same and got all the games I want for free as I am sure most of us would have, just wish the survey was open to the UK as well as America or if it was that I didn't miss it.

20. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Exactly.

Tags: Add Tags