1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New EC regulations could kill off high-end graphics boards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Oct 2012.

1. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

Ha, you Euros built yourselves a nanny state, now you have to stew in it. Makes me glad I live in the US of A where, for the time being, we don't have as many government bureaucrats oafishly stabbing their fingers into every pie, micromanaging every aspect of our lives.

Welcome to the hell you built yourselves, it's only going to get worse.

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Solution just leave the EU

YEHBABY likes this.
  3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@Grape Flavor: now after the anti-EU rant is over, the fact is that this whole regulation talks about the IDLE power consumption of the graphics cards. G7 has a limit of ~65W of IDLE power consumption.

Show me a currently sold graphics card consuming that amount of power in IDLE. You can't. Let me link this :
    [​IMG]

Nothing to see there, most current highend graphics cards would fit in the G5 category of this regulation.

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/10/18/his-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-x-turbo-review/8 ...

Bit tech lists every graphics card it wants to compare... all of those are idling over 65W aren't they ?

edit: Grape Flavour, America is a big problem in the energy consumption problem. Gas prices being so cheap is a big problem. Forcing companies to be more efficient in their designs isn't a nanny state ideal, its progress towards tackling a global problem.

edit: why would you even link that, I just wikipediad that 400 series and they were released in 2010!

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that would be the total system power.

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Ah so it is :)

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Depends how the power measuring is done. Bit-tech don't state their method. Tech power up claim to monitor the pci express power connectors and lanes which gives the power usage of the card only. There is a huge discrepancy between the two though.

Edit: Ninja'd by previous posts.

Its all irrelevant really until a benchmark procedure is detailed by the EU commission.

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Newer graphics cards drop their frequencies right down, my GPU is currently at 50MHz, memory at just over 100. Older graphics cards that you can't buy new anymore didn't clock down so low, if at all.

Also both those cards are 2 GPU's in SLI.

Bit tech have stated in the past that they use a measurement from the wall, so it includes everything the power supply is connected to. the PCIe method would just measure the card itself.

10. faugusztin

1) as other said, the regulation is talking about the graphics card idle power consumption, not system power consumption. They also defined what they count for that yearly total - 9.6 hours idling, 1.2 hours in sleep mode, rest of the day computer turned off. That means that G7 category with a yearly power consumption of 225 kWh would mean 64.2W maximum power consumption in idle mode.
    2) That chart is from the latest reviews, so i am not sure why are you complaining.
    3) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 - sure, yeah they eat a lot of power... And your point is ? Both those cards are very old.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The title of the article should be changed to "New EC regulations could kill off out dated and inefficient graphics boards" :D

12. faugusztin

By the way, idle power consumption values for other categories :
    G1 34 kWh 9.7 W
    G2 54 kWh 15.4 W
    G3 69 kWh 19.6 W
    G4 100 kWh 28.5 W
    G5 133 kWh 38.0 W
    G6 166 kWh 47.4 W
    G7 225 kWh 64.2 W

So if we take the techpowerup values as a base for these comparisons, then except GTX590 and GTX480 everything else fits in G6 category power consumption limit. Add HD5970 to that list and everything else fits in G5 category. And many of the cards will be able to be in the G4 or even G3 category .

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

So you have just said that as graphics cards get newer the power at the top end goes down... why is everybody complaining then?

If it makes no difference whats the problem with setting a limit?

14. faugusztin

The issue is that initial wording by NH suggested that this was a load power limit - and in that case 65W would be very, very low.

15. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

:waah:

16. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

The bigger unmentioned problem that we all are having on both sides of the pond are bureaucrats inside the government who believe they know best. They don't have product history or the actual numbers in use at any given time. Though they will speculate, count imaginary beans, pull a BS number out from their nether regions, and tell that you cannot have a product you desire. It's all for the public good Jeremy Bentham says, you sulk and have it no more. My 7850 is a far more capable and efficient card than my old 1900XTX but private industry cannot know best, only bureaucrats do. Ask them they'll tell how and why you are too stupid to choose.

17. Noeyedea

Noeyedea What's a Dremel?

Such poor journalism and very ill informed comments about energy efficiency regulations etc etc.

To clarify - the EC Regulation came into force in 2013. You can see it here - https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32013R0617

The Regulation does not ban and never did ban inefficient GPUs. It provides an energy allowance for GPUs installed within OEM computers. Inefficient GPUs get punished not banned. The Regulation includes exemptions for high performance GPUs so that the market was not impacted.

This Regulation saved 16.3TWh by 2020 across the EU.

If you think government bodies develop these types of regulations for no reason and without heavy manufacturer technical involvement you must be seriously delusional!

Governments develop these kind of regulations to save energy, limit the impacts of climate change and to save you money! Seriously....people!

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forums, maybe take a glimpse at a few threads that aren't from six years ago?
    Nowhere in the article will you find the word "ban." I checked ('cos it was six years ago, there's no chuffin' way I was going to remember!)
    Err... It's still 2018, last I checked.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2018
    MLyons likes this.
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Wow, it took trawling back to 2012 to find something to get angry about. That's somewhat reassuring.

Vault-Tec and MLyons like this.
  20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Right? I work, what, 48 weeks a year, three articles a day, that's... 4,320 articles since this one went up. If this is the newest one to complain about, I'd say I'm batting well above average!