1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Awesome plates!

Edit: moonprismpwr drew me a new avatar and logo. :3

Last edited: 19 Oct 2012
  3. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

Not got the 1m cable.... but heres a little teaser of what the colour will look like.

[​IMG]

4. KidMod-Southpaw

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Moar keyboards!

6. KidMod-Southpaw

Just going to PM you Longweight. :)

7. KidMod-Southpaw

Longweight's sample has been sent! W00P!

I'll be in touch with you soon GMC. :thumb:

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Seeing your caps Kid really makes me want a strawberry cheesecake (both cap and in real life :D)

[​IMG]

9. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Ok. Will take the numpad off my wasd this weekend and maybe try to scrape legends off a couple of keys.

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

Does anyone have a comparison picture or their own personal experience with mixed key profiles, Cherry and OEM specifically.

I really want to get the gamer pack from qwerkeys, but they are Cherry profile so will be a bit lower than OEM (I think that is right?). On the arrows and the ESC I can't see that being a problem, but on the WASD I can imagine it would be really annoying when typing, or is the different so small that actually I wouldn't notice at all?

Also I am absolutely loving this Filco, I can't believe how much I am enjoying a keyboard and just typing in general. I can't get enough of the sound and will get anything who hangs around for more than 30 seconds to have a listen :hehe:

Edit: Never mind I found this thread, my Google-fu was clearly lacking before. I think I will give changing the WASD keys a miss for now, it is shame because I don't really want to replace all the other keys. I might just change the 35 in the middle and the arrows or something, but not just yet. Decorating the pad at the minute so I can't justify buying a load of keycaps when I am grumbling about expensive wallpaper to the girl!

Last edited: 20 Oct 2012
  11. KidMod-Southpaw

What I need from you are a couple of modifiers for me to make for you, and about 5 R4 caps to give to me if that would be possible. If not, as many as you can give me if that's alright please. :)

12. GeorgeK

You can get some WASD caps that are filco profile - you're right though - mixed profile on the alpha keys wouldn't be great, but on the other keys I don't find it to be such a pita... What colour keys were you thinking of?

13. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

Choc Mini is very nice with Cherry Browns. Only downside I found was the lack of 'home' and 'end' keys.

14. Matticus

Matticus ...

Not sure if you mean WASD keys on the keyboard, or the company WASD keyboards :lol: But I did read that WASD were Filco height, but I couldn't seem to find an official line on it.

As for colour, I was thinking either green (my favourite colour) or white with either the characters front printed to match the rest or just engraved.

I will possibly just wait and get a full set from WASD keyboards at Christmas as it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting them from qwerkeys and then having to get f keys, modifiers and a spacebar etc unfortunately. Not sure how much customs charges I would be hit for on a $50~ order with $10 shipping.

15. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

looks awesome, soon i'll have a kb worth taking photo's of :D

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

WASD caps are thin and horrible OEM profile. I won't ever buy their caps again after trying SP / Cherry profile.

17. GeorgeK

Sorry - I meant the WASD keycaps (you can get Filco ones in blue, red and yellow) not wasdkeyboards.com ! I recently put in an order with techkeys.us for $60 with $20 postage on top and didn't get hit with any customs charges - the sender did mark the package value at $40 so maybe that made a difference... Can be luck of the draw from what I understand though!

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Just ask them to write them as keyboard replacement parts which is true.... ish.... and if its under 50$ then you should be OK.

19. Matticus

Matticus ...

I saw the Filco ones (and was debating having those red ones off you when buying the board) but I really want either white or green. Cheers for the info on the shipping, I just had a look and came up with the following;

• If under £15 then nothing is charged.
    • If between £15 and £135 then Import VAT is charged.
    • If over £135 then Import VAT and Custom Duty is charged (only if the Customs duty amounts to more than £9)
    • If it is a Gift over £40 but under £135 then Import VAT is charged.
    • Gifts over £135 are the same as a normal package over £135.
    • Multiple gifts in one package are more complicated so I won't go into them.

All the above info can be found here.

As you and others have said, there is also an element of luck in whether or not you get charged regardless of the value. Though I imagine anything marked as high value will certainly attract any and all charges.

I expect that is why they are pretty cheap then (even if you were to include what we would pay in VAT). I assume my standard Filco keys are equally as thin and horrible :hehe:

I might have to sign up to GH and be on the look out for people selling full sets of nice keys.

20. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Does anyone have a Back lit Pure and are no longer using the stock keycaps? I'm about to back light my Pure with Purple LEDs (when they arrive) and would like the semi translucent caps that came with the back lit version to complete the look.