1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Most Powerful GPU Without PSU Connection(s)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Itchy Rim, 21 Oct 2012.

1. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Hi,

Can anyone please advise me what the most powerful Graphics card is that draws power only from the PCI-e slot and does not need extra power via connector(s) from the CPU?

The current card I have is an ASUS Radeon 6670 and I need another similar type of card or a more recent version.

Itchy Rim

2. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

I think you may well have the most powerful card already. I'm struggling to find any that are moreso.

3. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

The most recent would probably be the Nvida GT 640. However, I think the GT 640s performance is in par with your HD 6670; only about a years gap between them too. Theres nothing from the AMD 7000s side so you should probably wait a bit.

EDIT: If you're 6670 uses GDDR3 memory then it might be worth getting one of these
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/geforce-gt-640-pci-e-(384-cores)

Or just this.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...-480-stream-processors-displayport-dvi-i-hdmi

4. rollo

rollo Modder

6670 is the most powerful no psu connector card on the market.
    AMD never made a 7 series version and nvidia have not got anything that performs well enough. Mostly cut down htpc cards.

5. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Is the 7750 any good, it looks like it kicks the bitch out of a 6670 and does not need extra power from the pSU?

Itchy Rim

6. Big-_-t0ny

Big-_-t0ny What's a Dremel?

7. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

8. Big-_-t0ny

Big-_-t0ny What's a Dremel?

Fair enough, although the one in your link is an MSI OC one...they add more voltage and stuff which is probably why they need a 6-pin.:) The XFX one looks like the cheapest even though it is 2GB...I would buy it ASAP.:thumb:

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

AMD do make a 7670 - but its a renamed 6670 and OEM only ;)

10. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Yes, I believe the best you can get at the moment without a power connector is a 7750.