1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 15 Aug 2011.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

After watching The International, I really get the urge to finally play this. However I am totally dreading playing with randomers due to the abuse that is clearly present. Is there some website that has a mentoring system, perhaps a bit like DOW2 has the L2P initiative?

2. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I saw games 2 and 3 of Na'vi Vs LGV and speaking as someone who has virtually no expereince with any kind of MOBA game I was blown away really.

The quality of gameplay seemed really high. The commentary from Tobiwan and his compatriot was excellent. The crowd was great and all around the event seemed of a really high quality. I won't give anything away for those who havent seen the games yet but
    Na'vis Faceless Void was down right scary in game 3

I still prefer SC2 as a spectator but thats purely down to I'm a lot better at SC2 (still bad mind) and simply understand it better. That being said i thought the shoutcasters did a great job of explaining some of the underlying tactics, decisons and thought processes being made by the teams.

Now I just need to man up, accept I suck and actually play more than 1 game a week. A shame the in game bad mouthing has to be quite so bad but thats the internet for you.

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

You can play bot games with friends, Honestly I never played Dota before and just did that, read guides and watched other people playing to help me improve.

By improve i mean learn the game.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Half of what I learned I learned from just playing against others in public matches and seeing what they did. Watch what they do, what items they get, what skills they get, et cetera.

Playing against bots isn't bad, but it's like training wheels: you can learn the basics safely, but there are times when it can get in the way if you rely on it too much and eventually will need to move on.

Also, loved the video. And after watching a few more for laughs, they're actually pretty good guides. Describes what the hero does, generally how to use it, but doesn't get bogged down in prescribing exactly what to do every minute of the game. And they're hilarious.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

After having a few pretty awesome games recently and having gotten 2TB more storage space I've been considering recording some of my better matches to commentate on later. Would anyone here be interested in watching that?

Why do this when there's already so many Dota guides and commentators out there? Because as stated in my previous post, I learned almost everything from watching other players in game rather than beginner's guides. I think it'd be great to merge the two: record a game and comment interesting things that pop up so viewers can learn new options and possibilities and decide for themselves how to apply them to their gameplay. Things like "Here Rubick used a Ghost Sceptre to keep Lycan from focusing him early in teamfights. Ghost Sceptre prevents the caster from attacking or being attacked when used but causes him/her to take 40% more magic damage during the effect. Since Lycan is purely physical this is a great counter, additionally Rubick has a passive magic resist aura to lessen the downside" or "Visage is laning with Bounty Hunter because BH's high burst damage compliments Soul Assumption while Grave Chill makes it easier for BH to chase enemies". Just quick tips for any hero or situation in the game, not specifically the hero I play, that way new viewers can take the abstracts. So when they go to a different game they can think "Hm, Ursa/SK/Lifestealer/etc is ripping me up as CM/Lina/Veno/etc. Maybe a Ghost Sceptre would work the same here!" or "We need a ranged hero to lane with Sven... Visage could combo well!".

6. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Lol.

Someone really likes visage. :p

Good guides are hard to come by for new players. I couldnt find many wen i started playing 6months ago. Now i know what i know from experiance and watching pro games.

Dota Cinema has some decent guides. But guides like your talking would go for HOURS.....you just cant cover everything. Timing when you get items is just as important as having the right items (lightofheaven enigma bkb rush to counter naga). And you gotta adapt depending on how much farm you get. As support roaming gankers are insanely awesome, but i have no idea how you can put a guide to this together, its really all about game sense and timing. pull a camp to pullt he wave towards tower if they bit rap around teh river and gank em, or even counter warding the jugnel so you can shut down lycan, but you need help doing that.

When you are roaming, level means nothing, you job is to get carry fat not keep up in levels. Ppl struggle with this, prob cause ppl rage at em in chat if they get to far behind in levels and get bursted down easy.

Good luck with the guides. New players can never see to much information. There is so much going on and intricices to it. Really hard to pull off a good guide for it. But i wish you all the best in your endevours.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's just the thing, they wouldn't be "guides" in the traditional sense. No video would have any specific focus, just a game I'd played with commentary on what the different players are doing and why. There are already guides for things like creep pulling, roaming, hero builds, even last hitting, I'd like to focus on how those are applied in an actual game. Game sense and timing as you put it. I'll see about making an example.

And yes, I like Visage! He's the least popular hero this month according to some stats I saw, who doesn't like an underdog?

8. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

I think its a great idea.

Visage is so strong. But used the least cause he requires some micro. Ppl cant handle micro units.

However anyone that has played starcraft 1 or 2....knows that the micro isnt that hard. Hotkeys are the key.

But those familiars so strong :D

9. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

Any news on release? Im tired of waiting on my beta key. And i dont want to buy one either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

No confirmation but we might have a good idea by the next patch. If it's just a few heroes then probably around December. If it's more, then possibly in the coming weeks.

11. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've only really gotten into the game a week or two ago, but its a really nice change from league. I don't know any heroes, so I just random and its been a fun learning experience. I know the basics of not dieing, denying, etc which are super important. I also like how items are very flexible and how the actives are very useful.

One of my favourite aspects of the game is having all champions unlocked. Unlike LoL where you need to buy heroes or wait until they are free to try, there's no real pressure or worry about trying a new hero. At worst, you don't do well but you lose nothing. I look forward to getting more into the game.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

So school has more or less stopped my plan of commentating games by eating up much of my free time and what time is left over goes to actually playing, but did get this hilarious clip out of some recorded footage. I won't pretend that the enemy team was the best set of players, but, well... see for yourself (also please excuse Skype chat mistakenly included):

13. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

I got 2 beta invites. First 2 people to ask, get.

PM me your Steam IDs so I can add you.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2012
  14. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

me want. pm to me plz, ty :D

15. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

me too please...brother in desperate need of one.

16. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

I've got an invite as well, PM if you want :)

17. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Just started playing this after winning an invite from forums. Its really quite fun, only thing is it takes some time for a game to be played out i had a bot game go into an hour! I got advised to play wit bots before anything else and im glad i did! Online takes it up a level.

Started out with the Warlock character in a support role. His abilities are generally quite easy to get to grips with and playing with mates you can combine really well.

18. sourdough

sourdough Minimodder

Just got an invite to this game and would like to read up on the basics before I jump in a game. I have never played games like HoN (what is it?) or League of Legends or dota 1. Can someone point me to an introduction like what are lanes, lane support, etc. Is there an in-game tutorial?

19. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

20. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

When starting out, play support heros. Dont play carrys. Carrys need alot of farm (last hits on creeps) and are VERY item dependent. Items are always situational so new players playing carrys not only dont farm to well, but also dont know what to buy to get the most use of there $$$.

You can read guides and the like, but really only thing that will help you get better is to play and watch pro games. Head on over to joindota's youtube and watch some games. Tobi is a very good caster that most of the time will explain whats going on.

You lose gold when u die (not all of it but some) so dont die. Positioning is always the key and can only be learned from playing, but keep in mind when you go past or in the river with no wards giving you vision you are running a risk.

Watch the minimap constantly you will learn that vision wards are OP (overpowered) they are by far the best items in the game, in mid game warding there jungle in pub games will win you the game most of the time as you can see when they are isolated and can gank.

Never go for a roshan attempt without having vision of the enemy entry paths, if they jump you in the rosh pit your dead and probably give them rosh instead. (Rosh is a massive Neutral creep in the river, he drops the Aegis of the immortal. Which for 6min means if the carrier dies they will come bk to life. But if not used in 6min then it disapears. Very important late game).

TP Scrolls are also OP. Always carry one, especially late game when your trying to push side lanes. And ALWAYS wen u ahve a pesky natures prophet trying to backdoor push.

NEVER GO BOTTLE FIRST. Stats far more cost efficient. Dont be fooled by ppl that insist it is good.....IT ISNT, if you want to rush bottle, tango and 3 branches to open. Courier is there for a reason.

On that note.....support buys courier. AT LVL1, before anything else support buys and activates courier. then its support job to upgrade it to flying courier latter on. Depends on there gold tho, dont rush it as soon as you get 220, but after around 10-12min you will want it to be upgraded.

When you play support heros some items that will help you no end. Tranquil boots, these have an active that heals you like a salve, that heal will stop if a hero or tower damages you (normal creeps dont stop the heal), Bracer - these give you HP most cost efficient way to get HP get one early on will help you survive. get a second one if you need more health, or turn it into a Drum of endurance, Drum is the most effcient stat item in the game and gives a nice passive Move speed aura, combine that with your fast move speed from tranquiles and not many ppl will catch you. (NOTE: Drums has an active you can use 4 times, this increases move speed to all hero's around you including you. Very good when running or chasing.) And for late game when farmed carrys can take you down faster than u can blink, get a Ghost scepter, this is an active that will stop them being able to attack you......NOTE- $0% more magic dmg recieved in this state. only use when being auto attacked, this item also has good all around stats.

Seeing a pattern with the items, for supports cheap stats are vital for you to survive and help your team with wards, dust etc.

You will lean whats important the more you play, google "welcome to dota, you suck" its a pretty nice guide for noobs.

Have fun with it, dont get to down you will suck initially, we all have been there. Some ppl will be accepting others will rage. All apart of the learning, The glory goes to the carry, the victory is set up by the supports.

I love playing support roles cause ppl really suck at it generally. And a good support during the laning phase will win your team the game.

Story time: The development of the support.

SO wen your learning you play support adn assist your lane mate to get farm, dont last hit dont attack creeps, pull the pull camp if possible. (Youtube pull camp to learn more). Doing this helps your team and control the lane for your carry to farm.

The evolution of the support. So more advanced supports play as a roamer (my favorite job) this requires map awareness and lots of it. Crystal maiden and Venegful spirit very good at this role, (Lion is to but i dont really enjoy playing him unless i have to cause team noob decides to pick 4 carrys without a single disable....but i digress :p ) So what this role does is float between the 3 lanes warding and ganking.

Ganking is an art form and is learn, but when you instantly surprise them with a 3 on 2 scenario.

A good tactic with this role is to roam around your own jungle, let the first wave or 2 push and when both heros are past the river, you pop out of the woods in your robin hood costume and claim first blood (if you wait 2 or 3 waves and give the laners a chance to harrass one of them to 75% hp or something then this is much easier and almost garenteed when done right.

Now that that lane is essentially won thanks to your gank you can role mid or to the long lane (the one not next to your jungle) or if the opponent is dumb and dosnt ward your own jugnle now, stay there and gank em again, otherwise go to another lane and get a kill there (in the case of the mid lane, you dont really have to kill them. Doing enough dmg to force them to go back to fountain or pop or there regen items is win in iteself and should allow your mid solo to own from then on.

Rinse and repeat for the first 10-15min, make sure you help out with tower pushes where possible.

You'll find the assist money and xp (Always try give carrys the kills instead of taking them yourself) will have you rofl'ing all the way to the item shop.

If you need any help just come back to the forum here or PM me, always happy to help. But jsut remeber, words are nothing. You must play and learn timings and situational aweness yourself, as no 2 games are ever the same.

Have fun and good luck.