1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Keeping Ants (updated 29/10/12

Discussion in 'General' started by daverobson08, 25 Oct 2012.

1. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, does anyone here keep ants? I have recently started a colony of Messor Barbarus ants. This is my blog. The first entry details the setup of the formicarium so far and the introduction of the ants.

They are really interesting creatures and I can honestly sit for hours watching them. My girlfriend and colleagues think I am weird. What do you think?

Ant Cam

Day 001

Day 005

Last edited: 29 Oct 2012
  2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

About the closest I've got is those blue gel boxes where it counts as food for them and they make a transparent hive/whatever-you-call-it.

Never done anything as big as your tank though. That looks awesome. I love nature, so this would suit me perfectly and I'd be as enraptured as you are mate. It's not weird; your colleagues need to understand that there's more to life than just tv and doritos.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Most interesting. I'll enjoy reading your blog, I like the fact is is written from an amateur's perspective and not full of technical "know it all" statements.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is totally sweet! Keep updating the blog!

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I used to keep praying mantis - And they did a whole heap of sweet FA in comparison to ants - I can see why people keep them! (Ants that is)

It'll be interesting to follow your blog - Consider it bookmarked!

From what you've been saying about replacing their test tube and not allowing them to burrow in the tank you've shown so far, am I correct in assuming there will be another tank that they burrow in connected to the, for lack of a better description, food tank?

Last edited: 25 Oct 2012
  6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I've got a question, sir! Pick me, pick me!

How expensive is this kind of hobby? I can see there's a bit of outlay, but other than food and water upkeep, is there anything like "cleaning" or maintenance of any sort?

7. daverobson08

Thanks for the interest folks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can see the fascination in their lives! I will be maintaining the laymans terms - this is just as much a learning experience for me as anything. Hopefully I will be able to relay what I have learned.

Liratheal: there are a couple of different ways for the ants to nest. The first is to let them dig their own tunnels and chambers in sand/soil etc. Obviously this is more natural but it has the disadvantage of you not being able to see them as they tend to block out the light which you get with a viewing window.

The method I will be using is to carve out the tunnels and chambers myself in a block of ytong (aerated concrete/breezeblock). This way I can easily maintain humidity levels and see the ants when I want to). I am led to believe that it is easy to work with and can be excavated with hand tools or a dremel. As you suggest, the current tank will become a food tank (or 'foraging' tank).

I kept stick insects when I was younger and they were fairly sloth-like too! Fingers crossed, the ants will have more to offer in entertainment terms!

Last edited: 25 Oct 2012
  8. daverobson08

Phalanx: No major upkeep costs of which to speak. They eat seeds (dandelion seeds are meant to be good with this species) and you can give them flies for protein and sugar water for carbs. The costs are negligible other than the initial outlay like you say. I got everything needed for somewhere in the region of £100. Maybe a little bit more.

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

whoa that freaking queen is massive!!!

"Would be temped to throw found spiders around the house in tho! xD

good luckk

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I bought this book a while ago, from what I've skim-read so far it's amazing. I can well believe that keeping them would be endlessly fascinating.

I keep a house spider (the only pet low-maintenance enough to survive my care/neglect) but aside for sporadic moments of activity, it's largely stationary and reclusive. Ants seem more interesting, if I'm honest.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I keep bees. Like ants, remarkably complex and interesting creatures once you get to know them. You get stung on occasion, but the honey is nice.

So no, you aren't weird; you're a geek. Welcome to the club. :)

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Ants, bees and wasps are all from the same order of insects (Hymenoptera). The really interesting thing about the Hymenoptera is that the females of the species are all diploid (two sets of chromasones) while the males are haploid (one set of chromasones). Since all the sperm from the male must be genetically identical this means that the genetic relation between sisters is 75% but genetic relation between mother and offspring is only 50%. A consequence of this is that it's more advantageous from a gene perspective for workers to have the queen keep producing sisters than to breed themselves.

Suffice to say, they are simultaneously my most and least favourite order of insects. (Damn wasps!)

Last edited: 26 Oct 2012
  13. daverobson08

14. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Quite amazing! The closest I got many years ago was one of those kid's kits, and they were awesome!

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This is a fascinating subject, apart from my fairly strong dislike of most insects, I could see myself being very interested in this.

So, people think you're weird because you're into this? Try telling someone you're into high end torches, computers and knives and see how many weird looks you get :hehe: Everybody needs a hobby or two :thumb:

16. PorkChops

PorkChops What's a Dremel?

The knives one is different, the others, people are worried FOR you. Knives, people are generally scared of you. My better half used to be VERY concerned about my knife collection. She wouldn't let me bring them home from work.

On topic, however. Those ants are awesome. Really cool idea and very interesting. Do you have any idea how big the colony will grow to over time? and whether or not they limit their population to the space they've got? I can see it resembling a challenge from I'm a celebrity if that queen just keeps on pumping out little ones.

17. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

You asked - you're weird!

YEHBABY likes this.
  18. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

really interesting this! enjoyed reading your day 1/5 journals, please keep it up :)