1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, it's weird, everything was going swimmingly until I tried the Lucid MVP drivers and all I got for my troubles was a blank screen after posting. I only use one monitor and the bios settings hadn't changed from Win7. After a third restart Win8 realised there was a problem and after a fair wait while it rolled back to a last known good configuration, it booted properly once more. So I'm a bit wary of trying it again.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yup. Also, Microsoft has WMA's which I believe can be lossless as well, so it COULD maybe explain the decision to not include FLAC support. Or Microsoft only looks at what format is popular on the general public level.

I mean already it took Microsoft FOREVER to even get DivX codec built-in support, and it's freaking DivX. So don't expect support for FLC or MKV any time soon.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  3. rollo

rollo Modder

Most people who have lossless record collections are not going to re code it to WMA. Support will come it will just take time.

4. GoodBytes

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Comparable pricing too...

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Well did my install, all I can say is windows 8 + start8 + Samsung 830 = :jawdrop:
    Ohh the speed!

Anyway my bloody CD drive wouldn't recognise the DVD it just wouldn't boot from it. I was fortunate enough to have previously made the DVD drive from my laptop into an external USB drive ala a cheap conversion kit from ebay. This worked for me, happy days.

Can I convert my cd into an image which could be booted off a thumb drive.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@theshadow2001: Windows 7 USB guides apply, so Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool from MS if it works for you, or another manual guide if not.

8. fozmcfc

fozmcfc What you looking at ?

How long should it take to upgrade.

I've downloaded it, remove incompatible programs, then hit install and it got to 100%.

It then said that the computer would reboot several times. This was an over an hour and a half ago. It has rebooted twice, about 20 mins apart, each time not really showing any indication it is still installing apart from just after the reboot, a quick flash up of the blue windows pattern.

The last time it did this was about 50 mins ago and I now have a blank screen with just occasional hard drive activity.

I already forced the computer to restart on the first install because I thought it had frozen and it put windows 7 back on, but I don't want to do that again, if it is still installing but just not showing any indication it is doing so.

9. GoodBytes

Did you remove all security software such as your A/V before upgrading?

The upgrade time is based on how many software you have, how big they are, and how many files you have.

Try and do Ctrl+Alt+Delete see if you can show the Task Manager.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  10. fozmcfc

fozmcfc What you looking at ?

Hi,

Yes, everything it said was incompatible, including the only anti virus I had on the system, which was MS security essentials.

I know it uninstalled that because windows 7 was complaining after it re-installed itself, that I had no anti virus software.

11. GoodBytes

Hmm... interesting. Like I said try Ctrl+Alt+Delete, try Alt+Tab, see if you can get anything that can be helpful.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

My first 2 days with Windows 8 have been AMAZING! I love it!

13. GoodBytes

Fun trick of the day:
    Doing Ctrl+Tab on the Start Screen shows all your programs.

14. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Heres a few windows 8 keyboard shortcuts :)

Win : switch between the Start screen and the last-running Windows 8 app
    Win + C : displays the Charms: the Settings, Devices, Share and Search options
    Win + D : launches the desktop
    Win + E : launches Explorer
    Win + F : opens the File Search pane
    Win + H : opens the Share pane
    Win + I : opens Settings
    Win + K : opens the Devices pane
    Win + L : locks your PC
    Win + M : minimises the current Explorer or Internet Explorer window (works in the full-screen IE, too)
    Win + O : toggles device orientation lock on and off
    Win + P : switch your display to a second display or projector
    Win + Q : open the App Search pane
    Win + R : opens the Run box
    Win + U : open the Ease of Access Centre
    Win + V : cycle through toasts (notifications)
    Win + W : search your system settings (type POWER for links to all power-related options, say)
    Win + X : displays a text menu of useful Windows tools and applets
    Win + Z : displays the right-click context menu when in a full-screen app
    Win + + : launch Magnifier and zoom in
    Win + - : zoom out
    Win + , : Aero peek at the desktop
    Win + Enter : launch Narrator
    Win + PgUp : move the current screen to the left-hand monitor
    Win + PgDn : move the current screen to the right-hand monitor
    Win + PrtSc : capture the current screen and save it to your Pictures folder
    Win + Tab : switch between running apps

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hmm. Well it really does not like the Lucid MVP software, that's for sure. After trying to get it running it's stubbonly refusing. The only way I could get it to boot was to do a 'refresh'. So I'm backing up (only emails tbh) and starting fresh again as it doesn't take too long.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

17. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Been debating the jump for a few days now, just not sure if I can be bothered to transfer all my music etc over.. I know I could just do a upgade but I'd rather a "Fresh" start so to speak if I was going to..

Seeming my main PC is generally for uni work along with a bit of gaming does anyone know if Windows 8 supports OpNet, TSK+Autopsy, Oxygen, FTK & EnCase at the moment or is it just best to stick with win 7 on my main rig and get 8 on my lappy as a triple boot (win7,linux and win8)

18. GoodBytes

Windows 8 allows you to do a clean install, where you have files transferred (when setup is ran from Windows 7 only) :)
    Programs, drivers will need to be re-installed, as it is a real clean install, but your files will be where you left them off in the first place.

What I recommend however, is to have a dual partition setup, though:
    -> C:\ Windows
    -> D:\ Programs, files, music, video, downloads, pictures, etc. Where you have all your personal folders (My Document, Music, etc..) link to their appropriate folders in on the D:\ drive where they are (see folder properties to say where the folders content are location the personal folders). The reason why your programs and games are on the D:\ drivers instead of the C:\ drive, is because your D:\ drive will be biggest one, and that will allow you to not be restricted to size, as you update programs or install new games which consume more and more space.

This way you don't need to worry about backing up your files when you do an OS re-install/clean install/upgrade.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2012
  19. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Nice that saves alot of hassle :) Can get the RTM (think it is, Build 7600 iirc) for free through my Uni's school as they are signed up to MSDNAA of which is the main reason I'm considering it as I lost my code thingy to get it through buying my laptop. Just need to find out if the other programs are supported.

I would dual boot main PC but with only a 320GB HD its not worth it and I dont have the money right now for a minor upgrade.

20. GoodBytes

You have some fancy programs. If you ask the company, like all software companies will tell you: No buy the new version (unless you have a brand new version just release a few months ago). Even though if the current one runs fine under Windows 8. as by "support", they mean that if there is ever a problem, they can help you, and not that if the program works.

Technically speaking:
    -> Windows 8 has nothing in the core part changes, beside optimization, which can affect programs. All Windows 7 ready programs should run fine on Windows 8. The worst you may need, is to run the SETUP under compatibility mode of Windows 7, just to by-pass the OS check. So that when the setup asks "What Windows are you?", Windows 8 returns "I am Windows 7" (or wtv Windows you picked).