1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Rewiring SATA connectors

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Booti, 22 Aug 2012.

1. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Sorry if this has been asked before, I had a look around and couldn't find anything.
    Whenever I build a new system I generally make all the PSU cables from scratch so they are the right length and neat, but I always struggle with the SATA cables as they are not crimp pins.
    I have found plenty of places that sell the replacement ends, but they all appear to be the same style and I cannot work out a decent way to get the cable into the metal fork at the back of the pins.
    In telecoms we use a Krone tool to force the (much thinner) cable into the fork so it pierces the insulation on the sides of the cable and makes the connection. Is there any similar tool you can buy to do this with the SATA connectors?
    If not, can anyone give tips on how to wire the replacements please without stabbing myself in the fingers with a screwdriver :waah:
    Also what gauge wire do people suggest using (I may just be using stuff that is too low a gauge)

Thanks

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you're talking about the punch down connectors then probably a punch down tool similar to the Krone would work. I asked about this on here recently but no one replied. I've ordered a cheap one with the 110 and 66 blade to try out but didn't realise when I ordered it's coming from Hong Kong so a while to wait until it arrives.

I use the metric equivalent of 18AWG wire which is 24/0.2.

Edit: Until I get a proper tool I've been using home made wedges made from wood to punch down the wires.

You can get connectors that use crimp pins but they look really crap if you have more than 1 connector.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012
  3. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Cheers. Not sure a 110 tool will do it due to spacings, but will be interesting to see the result of your test.
    If not I guess it's time to make something out of wood or aluminium like you have.

Improvise, adapte, butcher......should be my new moto ;)

4. Big Elf

Somebody on another forum told me he was using the 110 blade but I think it was BS as it quite clearly seems to be used for network punch downs which uses a lot thinner gauge wire.

When I see how it works I might try to make/adapt a blade for it. The wooden wedges I use only last for about 5 insertions and I was destroying the wire using screwdrivers.

5. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Yes, this was the issue had. I either pierced the cable, stabbed myself in the finger or slipped and ripped /snapped the connector out of the plastic holder.

6. RooiDuiwel

RooiDuiwel What's a Dremel?

7. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

I normally just sacrifice one or two of my fingers to the job... only takes about a week to heal all the cuts!

8. Booti

Booti Minimodder

9. RooiDuiwel

10. Big Elf

I thought we were talking about the punch down connectors? Which connectors did you mean?

11. Booti

Booti Minimodder

yes PATA is used on older IDE drives. I am talking about 15 pin SATA power connectors. These are different.
    4 pin molex connectors are usually made with a crimp pin, which i have the tools for. SATA connectors are sold with a fork on the back that you have to insert the cable between to pinch the insulation and make a connection to the inner conductor.

Thank you for your second link, but this is the type i am trying to use
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1950.html
    and I am asking if people know of a tool to do this insertion cleanly and consistantly (or know of a better way than trying to jam the cable in with a screwdrier that generally ends up in the connector getting broken or you stabbing yourself in the finger)

Last edited: 25 Aug 2012
  12. RooiDuiwel

my bad Booti, that is actually exactly the connector I was talking about.

I thought it was really just as simple as 'forcing' the cable into the clip pins by pushing down hard with the cable.

like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls14BmwkeWg

Last edited: 26 Aug 2012
  13. Big Elf

The cheapy punch down tool I got with the 110 blade will 'punch down' the wires on the SATA connector quite well with no damage to the wire or connector. I needed to practice a few times but after that it worked OK.

14. collateral

collateral What's a Dremel?

Bumping this thread, but does anyone know if there are sata crimp pins/housings anywhere in the UK?
    I have used the 90 deg connector but it blocks a SATA port on my mobo. Also, is it possible to crimp 2 connectors together as is found in some psus (for the molex connectors)

15. collateral

OK I found the molex numbers: 67581 for the pins and 67582 for the housings.
    I still dont know about the second bit: can you crimp two wires together (as Ive seen on some psus)

16. Big Elf

Yes you can, or splice them.

Edit: If you buy from Mouser there's a minimum £12 delivery charge for orders under £50.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2012
  17. collateral

But if I splice it, won't where the join happens be too big to fit in the crimp (circled in image)?

[​IMG]

18. Big Elf

I thought you meant crimping dual wires at the PSU end not the connector end. It might be a tight fit in the SATA connector if you crimp dual wires onto the SATA pins but should work (I'll have a go in a few minutes).

If you spliced it you'd be doing it some distance away from the connector whichever end you did it.

Edit: It's not a tight fit with dual wires crimped onto the SATA pin, it's easier to get it in the connector than a single sleeved wire.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2012
  19. collateral

Thanks for that :D How did you crimp it - one on top of the other or side by side?

20. Big Elf

On top of each other, the crimp design won't allow side by side.

collateral likes this.