1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VUPEN sells Windows 8 zero-day vulnerability code

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Nov 2012.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If it's not fixed in Win8, it won't be fixed in Win9.

2. Ploo

Ploo What's a Dremel?

Good on them. Information should be exchangable freely and I hope they don't get to face any legal action.

3. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

int main()
    {
    printf("Hello world!\n");

return 0;
    }

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Maybe they'll replace windows with that then...

5. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Actually the difference between hacking and cracking isnt intent.. its hacking = re-writing someones code to do what you want it to (Aka I hacked that code the other night) . Cracking is what is traditionally though of as hacking aka gaining access to something or to crack into a database..

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Indeed, in fact "hacking" needn't even refer to someone else's code - it can mean writing ("hacking together") code or hardware to make it do things beyond its designers' intentions.

7. mclean007

Haha a la the Simpsons - "Buy him out, boys!"

@sixfootsideburns - you mean "except", not "accept".

8. mclean007

There are so many grammatical and spelling errors in this I can't even work out what you're trying to say. Please make at least a token effort to be clear in your posts. What I *think* you're saying is that, by selling their exploit to third parties, VUPEN would be committing a criminal offence. I'm sure they have thought that through. First, it depends on French law (VUPEN being incorporated there), with which I am unfamiliar but I am sure it is less protectionist on these things than US law, and/or the laws of whichever frontier jurisdiction VUPEN chooses to use to do its business (Panama, for example, has very lax restrictions on such things).

Secondly, "accessory" to what? In order to be an accessory, you must knowingly (or at least negligently) have facilitated the perpetration of a crime. The act of executing remote code, in and of itself, is unlikely to be a criminal offence, unless it is for a nefarious purpose. Admittedly it is difficult to come up with legitimate reasons to want to do that, but the point stands.

Thirdly, in order to be prosecuted for a criminal offence, you first have to be CAUGHT. I'm assuming any deals done by VUPEN will be kept very quiet - they may be publicising the fact that they have devised an exploit, but the average customer for such things is unlikely to want his purchase to be publicised.

9. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

This, but for me the problem isn't Microsoft getting screwed. It's the end user getting their system compromised and the negative effects that could come with that. As far as I am concerned these people are hacking purely for profit and while this is OK in a preventative sense, they are just black hat hackers if they sell elsewhere.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Wowz! D condesention from ur side of d internets nearly blewed up my computer on to tiny peaces! If ur dat sensative to grammer u shudn't prolly shudnt be on d webs.