1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Requirement for 3D gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by malbluff, 3 Nov 2012.

1. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

I am helping a friend, with a gaming build. Mostly not a problem, but he has a specific desire to play BF3, in 3D. As I've never run 3D, I'm unsure of any particular requirement, other than, obviously, a compatable 3D monitor. Appreciate graphics are more demanding, but unsure how to estimate drop in framerate, and I also "seem to remember" hearing that SLi was a positive advantage, with 3D, but unsure if I'm "imagining" that memory.
    Any guidance would be much appreciated.:confused:

Last edited: 3 Nov 2012
  2. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

3. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

My ATI 7970 was beating out GTX 680s in 3D benchmarks
    I got the Gigabyte Ghz edition for 100-150 USD less than the 680s
    and only 10-20USD more than the 670s

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sure but Nvidias implementation of 3D is far better than ATIs is.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Nvidia supported card, Nvidia eye glasses, And supported screen there is not many unless your using tv as monitor. And you must enable physics as well if you want to see the real benifits of it.

for bf 3 at least

1 680 pref 2 680s in sli for any decent settings. 4gb ram cards dont go a miss when using 3D either. No one said 3D was cheap.

AMDs 3D implementation is shoddy at best and not worth it at the minute hopefully it will improve.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

7. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

Two points.
    As, in effect, two images have to be processed, frame rates are going to be lower, like for like, than 2D. As there don't seem to be any 3D benchmarks, would it be reasonable to use framerates, on 1440 or 1600p, in 2D, as a reasonable guide to 3D rates at 1080p?
    Any thoughts on the SLi point. As I said, I seem to remember some idea that, because two images have to be created, and displayed, SLi actually helps that, but I'm just not sure if I'm "remembering" that right.

8. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I dont really think that comparing 2d and 3D frame rates is going to be accurate. It takes a lot more grunt to run 3D than it does 2D, and it can put quite a strain on the system. I don't have any really new FPS games but Ill look if you want and compare FPS on 3D and 2D. I'm not sure if L4D or the version of COD I have has a built in fps monitor but if someone knows tell me and Ill reinstall and test for you. Unless there is a free FPS recorder I can use for results. PM me if you want me to run some test.