1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Server Boot Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 3 Nov 2012.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I was wondering what would be better for a home server boot drive; a 250GB Enterprise HDD or SSD?

I've heard that Windows Home Server is particularly tough of boot drives so I'm thinking the 250GB HDD would be better seeing as it's an enterprise drive and I already own it.

I have zero experience with home servers so I need help.

Thanks.

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If it's HS 2011, it should support TRIM, so an SSD should work fine. That being said, if the server is doing little more than file sharing and a few other bits, theres no point in a SSD.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Edit: My first ever double post! must be a db glitch.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2012
  4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

It will be 2011 and it will be used to back up all the PC's in the house as well as for file sharing and media streaming.

5. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

WHS 2011 doesn't trash the boot drive, only WHS v1 trashed the boot drive as it had to be used as part of the storage pool. I'm assuming if you're asking for a boot drive you have separate storage drives for backup and data? An SSD should be fine. You can add in a config file as when you install the OS in order to bypass the 160GB minimum hard drive size

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

most ppl due ti to save even more leccy but it makes the first disk access quite annoying have to wait 5-10 sec for HDD to spin up :D

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

ssd dosen't have as much benefit on a home server as a desktop. Generally the os dosen't need to be that responsive, and as MSH pointed out you will still need to wait for the storage disks to spin up anyway, unless you set power management to always on...
    Since you already have the disk I would just use that and save some money. Or spend that money you would have on boot ssd for another large 2-3TB drive.