1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Nexus 10 Tablet - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BennieboyUK, 4 Nov 2012.

1. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

The iPad is a better tablet in my opinion, but the extra money probably isn't worth it for most people, although android still isn't a very good tablet os.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

In my view Android is a vastly better tablet OS than IOS.

I don't think they should be compared generally though - apples and oranges. Reviews that compare/contrast iPad/Surface/Nexus are a bit daft IMO. If what you really want is the experience derived from the apple/google/MS ecosystem, then an alternative tablet is unlikely to be the right call regardless of its apps or PPI or battery life etc.

This is coming from someone who after 3 years of Android phone use, decided to pick up an iPad, only to swap it out for an Android tablet 6 months later. When asked what I didn't like about the iPad, it essentially boiled down to "It doesn't run Android".

I picked up an Asus TF700 a few weeks ago, and I'm not having any buyers remorse in light of the Nexus 10. I'm sure it will do well in light of the official Google branding, but in my view either the Note 10 or the TF700/TF300 are a better option, depending on requirements.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2012
  4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Personally, I think the hardware is pretty much there - Apple arguably produce devices with a slightly higher end "feel" due to their use of aluminium as opposed to plastics (to me, the Nexus 7 feels like a £200 device) but the real decision comes down to ecosystem and budget.

I bought an iPad Mini because I wanted a smaller iPad - but I'm heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem so a jump to a Nexus would make no sense. Equally, I'm also a sucker for a high end device, and am willing to pay for it.

5. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

In my opinion, the Nexus 10 is the only Android tablet in the 10" class worth getting excited about, and it's at a more than competitive price, so why not?

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

If I were to get a 10" tablet, the Nexus 10 would be it. I've never had any Apple product and I will not buy in to the ecosystem.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

if you want a gaming tablet apples new ipad blows away the competition ( Anandtech have ran the numbers )

Id still say for content consumption your better with apple, Its nice piece of tech but suffers on battery life.( 8hrs vs 10 on surface and 12 on ipad, on wifi usage )

8. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I will be getting first tablet before or at Xmas and it will be a Nexus 10 (unless a stream of reviews come out saying its horrendous).

I am not a fan of iOS, also as I have an android phone many of the apps will be compatible. I am rather biased though as I am quite the google fanboy!

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

2560*1600 Res display, that's stupidly tasty, however, i really don't like it's design. And the rest of it's tech spec seem a little disappointing too. In the days of mobile Quads/5 core chips, why has it only got a dual core?

Sam

10. sWW

sWW Minimodder

Seeing as a lot of desktop applications aren't multicore optimised I find it hard to believe mobile applications are. Perhaps I am just ignorant but I don't see the advantage of having more than a couple of cores in a mobile device.

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Gaming tablet is a oxymoron, same as gaming laptop.

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I think the new ipad (4) is still only dual core and its still the fastest non x86 tablet.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Indeed, it seems that there's no great real world advantage to quad core mobiles/tablets. Great for willy-waving but not great for actual usage :D

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Correct, coupled with a batshit insane quad-core GPU. Apple obviously realised they need to push more pixels for that retina screen rather than CPU speed.

Tablets aren't all about specs - you just need enough to get the UI running smoothly without any hiccups or stuttering, and after that nobody is going to really notice a difference in day-to-day use. Tablet gaming isn't at the point of PC gaming where you can upgrade a GPU and really notice a difference, mainly because there is a lot of lowest common denominator programming going on.

This is why I'm a tad disappointed in the Nexus 7. Looks great on paper, but why does the quad-core Tegra3 have little UI hiccups every now and then?

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

like it, due cores is plenty with good GPU backup, my single core smartphone feels as fast as my Tegra3, lack of sdcard upgrades would stop me from buying it, its low price can't compensate for the lack of storage :(

An increase in screen res would be welcome, TF300 looks ropey on some websites.

The review is a bit inaccurate, the nexus 10 only has one NFC chip with two antenna.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2012
  16. rollo

rollo Modder

Think the next big game for mobile will be grand theft auto vice city. Infinity blade 3 is due out soon enough to push gpus to there limits on IOS at least.

I went from an iphone 4s to an iphone 5 and it just feels like its in a totally different league, everything is faster and you can noticeably see the speed of the web pages loading faster.

Was the same thing on my works sg2 to sg3 the tech the phones are pushing is just getting faster and faster.

Nexus 7 is a nice tablet at a good price point wether people would pay another £140 ( Nexus 7 was around £160 on amazon the other day) for a nexus 10 (Estimated at £299) is another story.

Wether it can hope to top what is a productivity tablet ( From microsoft surface ) Or the content consumption tablet (From Apple )in the uk the answer will be a quick no.

Google licence deals in the uk are pure fail on media and tv shows till they correct this then they will not stop a runaway train that is Apples Ipad.

17. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I think the nexus 10 will be my first foray into tablets, although I'm not certain it's necessary, I already have me a Note 2.

It'd be a bit strange, though, having a tablet that's 10in with a much higher res than my 24in monitor.