1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs XCOM's perfect demo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And a good job the demo didn't have the plethora of bugs present in the RC.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've been avoiding the new XCOM, but only because it'll guaranteed to be a total life-suck, leading to arguments/divorce. I really should give the demo a go though - hopefully I won't like it, and all will be well. ;)

adidan likes this.
  4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

XCOM's demo was universally derided for being awful a pale and limited shadow of the game. Hell, it doesn't even let your rotate the camera until the second mission! The whole game is based around movement of your squad to avoid horrible death, and 75% of the demo is being told to 'go here' and it ending up being a bad place to move.

No research, no construction, no strategic layer, no squad loadout choice (or even squad choice), almost no actual gameplay at all! The demo was 'almost cancelled my pre-order' bad, only saved by the reviews from RPS and the like who had access to the actual game. If I hadn't read them and gone purely by the demo, it would have been a no-sale.

5. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

cant understand... everybody or most first said the demo was soooo short and such a big file to the end that it was not a good demo. now that ppl played the game, loved the gamed, everything its done is seen through rose tinted glasses.

i love the game, one of the best this year at least... but the demo was still wayyyyy too short. 1 mission??? and dont u dare count the first mission as a mission. so 5gigs for one mission... too short, and did not change my mind in getting the game, and one mission would not change most ppls mind in not getting the game if that was ur thinking.

the reviews and word of mouth changed minds. the demo was just a whisper in the wind...

IMHO

6. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

never saw ur comment before i put mine in. well said. and another honest person not being hypocritical.

7. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

I thought it was an excellent demo; it stopped me wasting £30 on the full game. :)

It's a shame there wasn't a demo for Dishonored as well - another "90%" game that was nothing of the sort.

8. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Refreshing to see a game that actually has a demo rather than a closed beta that requires you to sell your soul to obtain a key.

9. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

If there was one issue i had with the demo, it's that it didn't split the "Tutorial" and "Mission" components.

One of the main hooks of XCOM/Strategy/Tactic games is going about things in a different way, however if you wanted to experiment in the demo you had to go through the entire tutorial again each time.

10. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

Finished the iron-man campaign over the weekend. Great game worth every penny!

11. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

It was the demo that made me buy it. As a hardcore Xcom veteran I was skeptical about the game giving the same feeling as the original. Since I was playing the original when it came out it radiated a lot of neustalga. I did find it dragged a bit towards the end but I found it to be one of the best games of its type. It could have been a bit deeper in the troop loadout and item depth but overall pretty good.

12. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

This. I was personally very disappointed in the demo. 4.5 GB of files, most of which weren't even used in the demo, all for a 20 minute tutorial that showcases absolutely none of XCOM's strengths? Not only was it not worth downloading, it made the game out to be a linear, overly scripted, hand-holding experience. It was specifically responsible for me not buying the game.

13. Vallachia

Vallachia What's a Dremel?

It is impossible not to like it.
    It's brilliant. You are doomed.

14. Vallachia

Vallachia What's a Dremel?

Don't play the demo guys (oops you already did). The full game does not suffer from the flaws of the demo. It is one of the best games in years.

15. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

No disrespect to either of you but isn't it pretty obvious that the game won't be linear outside of the tutorial / demo? I think you've missed the point entirely, like so far over your head that it just smashed into the bloody moon.

It gives you a feel for the games control system, layout and feel without giving you the capability to be X-Commander Super Lugs.

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This game is freaking addictive and damn good fun. I honestly thought they would ruin it, but they succeeded in not only making it great fun for the original players of UFO:EU, but in bringing it to a completely new audience.

17. Riffler

Riffler What's a Dremel?

The demo did a fairly good job of concealing how much the game has been dumbed down compared to the original - particularly the fudged lines of sight and missed shots having no chance of hitting anything but the scenery.

18. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

If you do not have this game, turn in your PC Gamer card, you will never get it back.

If you really want to understand what Xcom was like in 1995 play the outstanding Xenonauts game.

X-Com is one of the premeire franchises in PC Gaming, I am happy that they went back to their roots, while at the same time moving it forward into 3d

Tags: Add Tags