1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU How long without a cooler before damage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ramon Suey, 7 Nov 2012.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

We hold the heatsink on without any paste and neither get warm, on an older chip it's a very different story, cpu gets too hot to touch, even after using a heatsink.

2. Ramon Suey

Ramon Suey What's a Dremel?

Thanks Shirty. I'm a bit wary of watercooling that's why I bought a Xigmatek Aegir. I considered Corsair but I think your solution might be cheaper?

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Oh it's definitely cheaper, you probably have a high pressure tap and a length of hose to hand, all you need is to put the whole rig in the bathtub to allow the used "coolant" to drain away and you're good to go.

Or you could put the plug in the plughole and go for a bit of immersion cooling :hehe:

4. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Why not just blow on it tenderly?

5. Ramon Suey

Ramon Suey What's a Dremel?

I now have a basic system up and posting to BIOS/EFI - I have yet to add the SSD and 3 HDDs and fix up the case headers - tomorrow. To test I installed the i3570K into the Sniper M3 mATX M/B (second board, first DOA) using the stock cooler without TIM - to save having to clean and reapply when I install my Xigmatek. The temp settled at 50c - so it is clearly OK to test without TIM. So Deders is clearly correct. PS to TheDodoKiller - I'll ask my wife if she can do it.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Yay me!

7. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

It's real on older chips without modern safety limits.

To sell a CPU in the eu these days you have to meet safety regulations and one of those regulations is a thermal shut down on the pc if one part goes to high.

You could technically speaking use butter as your Tim its better than some of them on the market.