1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Atom Bay Trail-T, Valleyview-T details leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Hope they won't do the same joke than with the cedarview SGX545 (win7 32bits only drivers, no 64bits, no xp, no linux, only w7 32bits). Well played Intel, good cpu and useless graphic drivers.

3. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

If you read, it is Ivy Bridge Graphics in it, expected to be 4 EUs to HD2500 6 EUs, with no information on clock rates or anything like that. Drivers might be slightly tweaked due to the difference in interconnects for it, but at its core, it is Ivy Bridge graphics.

So unless Intel wants to change the support, it should fully support 32 and 64 bit as well as XP, Linux, Vista, 7 and 8.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

" with Intel 'dogfooding' "

dogfooding..#&*!!!

They're destroying our language....

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oddly, the only operating system support mentioned anywhere in the slides is Windows 8 32-bit. I'd ask Intel for clarification, but I can tell you what their response would be: "We do not comment on industry rumour or unannounced products."

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I already knew it was an "HD" IGP ... just hope Intel won't make the same sh!t they did with the previous gen Atom. They promised a 64bit driver but finaly abandonned it to focus on "HD" line, promised a Linux driver, but .....

Bought a Slim Shuttle with Atom D2700, having faith in Intel promises .... time taught me to NOT trust them.

Think It'll be the same thing happening again and again. They'll just throw a beta Win8 32 bit driver at us, and we'll have to do with it.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2012
  7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

This looks alright actually, considering how fast the atom processor is in the razer i, I still think x86 has a place in mobile computing.

8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I think their weak spot here still will be graphics. They've got more than enough money to solve it - either farm it back out to the PowerVR people, or actually get serious about it and hire some real engineers. If they wanted to be dicks, I bet they could steal some of the former ATI engineers from AMD for the right price (unless, of course, those engineers are under non-compete agreements.)

Seems like it might even be time to ease back on the hyper-aggressive tick-tock strategy in the mainline x86 market and start pouring a whole lot of money into mobile - they've gotten more serious, but they're still not that serious if they're talking about Win8-32 in 2014 - that'll be less than a year left before Win9 drops, and it isn't like ARM is standing still.

The Bay Trail-T doesn't like a revolution - they're doing what ARM already did. Arm went to quad core what, a year ago or more? And Intel still won't have an honest-to-god OoO Atom for nearly another 2 years?

I'd guess they're already taping out Broadwell - ease back on that and turn the tick-tock monster on for Atom - Intel's going to get crushed if they don't get serious about mobile a lot faster than they have so far.

9. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

Doesn't sounds that impressive to me at all. 2014 we will be talking about SoC with ARMv8 Cortex A57 @ 20nm. Or at least some derivative work from QualComm or Apple. An Atom with same performance but half the power usage is just about as good Cortex A57. So Intel will finally catch up the performance / power metrics compared to ARM camp. But it will still be too expensive to sell. The only way Intel can win this is by having a chip that perform a lot better then ARM but with equal power usage.

Not sure if 2014 will be too late. Or has Intel already started thinking about transitioning to a Fab business model for Apple and Qualcomm

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Quite. What is 'dogfooding' even supposed to mean?!