1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU i5 3570k Win 8 Temperature Fluctuations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bOO9000, 23 Nov 2012.

1. bOO9000

bOO9000 What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    Using either RealTemp or Hardware Monitor on Win 8 the core temps on my 3570k fluctuate up to 6 degrees a second.

Is this normal, Is it actually physically possible to have such temperature variations ?
    Is it likely to be the software running on Win 8 or maybe the motherboard sensors ?

Motherboard is P8Z77-i Deluxe with 0704 bios and a Gelid Tranquillo cooler.

The cpu is not overclocked btw.

Thanks.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2012
  2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It can jump up and down between a range of temperatures.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

One of my cores just went from 40 to 49 and back :jawdrop:

It should be fine. When the screen starts going blue is the time to be worried.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If it bugs you it is possible to limit the variations somewhat by changing 'C' state settings from the BIOS.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Is it completely idle or is there any CPU activity? Check with Argus Monitor to see if your temps coincide with the CPU clock's ramping up, it's quite normal if this is the case.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2012
  6. bOO9000

bOO9000 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your replies....

It fluctuates whilst idle between 30 - 37 degrees although the cpu frequency is ramping up every few seconds. I just switched the windows power options from balanced to high performance, interestingly realtemp shows the cpu frequency fluctuating but cpu-z does not, anyway the temp is still fluctuating as before.

Do wonder if it might just be the software(s) not being fully compatible with Win 8.

I've never noticed my previous cpu's temps behave this way so I got a bit concerned.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2012
  7. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Do you have that Asus AI Suite installed? If you open that up you're going to get different temperature readings again. I had issues with AI Suite vs Realtemp.

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Did you ever have windows 7 installed? If you had the system running on windows 7 did it often fluctuate? I know my 2500k jumps around a bit when I'm just browsing and idling but I don't think my fluctuations are as great as 7-9 degrees.

9. bOO9000

bOO9000 What's a Dremel?

@BitUser: I don't really want to install ai suite, unless it is possible to only install temp monitoring only, have just been reading some pretty negative comments about it.

@mansueto: This machine shipped with Win 8, I'm going to try dual booting with Xubuntu later today and will compare temps.

Asus released a new bios last week, the previous release was only a month old, they state "improve stability", pretty annoying they do not list detailed changes / fixes.

I don't particularly want to take the risk of flashing my new motherboard without reading positive reports from other users.

Thanks

10. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I must say I had some very odd temp readings reported by coretemp in windows 8. Its was reporting temps in excess of 65 deg at idle! I know that the 3570k can get hot when oc'd but that is ridiculous.

I then installed Realtemp and was getting mid-high 20's at idle and 40-50's at load.

i also get large temp fluctuations, but I also saw this in windows 7

11. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

The temps and load do move around when doing very little.

Do you use live tiles? Are they set to auto update?

(Edit) you have to remember that the Tj functions that are called by coretemp/realtemp are estimates as any value under 50c can be quite wrong. The Tj sensor is designed to become more acurate the closer you are to TjMax. IE. The higher the temps the more exacting a value it will give. Really (the actual hardware) the Tj sensors count down to 0 (max temp)

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

Last edited: 26 Nov 2012
  12. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Yeah, if you don't have it installed, don't install it. It is a terribly slow resource hogging program that clashes with Realtemp.

13. bOO9000

bOO9000 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the replies so far..

@amaril: Thanks for the info, I have no idea what a live tile is so I doubt I'm using them.
    @Bituser: Ok won't be installing ai suite anytime soon then.

"It can jump up and down between a range of temperatures."
    "One of my cores just went from 40 to 49 and back"
    "I also get large temp fluctuations, but I also saw this in windows 7"

Ok looks like it probably is normal then, does seem quite odd though.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2012