1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project - Patriotic Lanbox - Final pics 11-26-12

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BOBDBONE, 21 Nov 2012.

1. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

Another mod I'm in the middle of right now is this awesome little Thermaltake Lanbox Lite that I bought from a guy a while back.

It was a basket case but it's a great chassis. I recently did the Camo Mod for my step-mom so I thought my dad could use something cool too. He doesn't know anything about it so it will be a Xmas present this year. He's a pretty old-school guy and very patriotic so that's the theme I'm going with.

I'm going to strip it down and paint it all white. I'll add some patriotic touches here and there. I'm going to keep it kind of simple if possible. I'd have to say it won't be a full mod but more of a "resto-mod" since it's kind of a restoration and mod in one.

I bought some modest hardware that will blow away his 10 year old HP that he currently uses. lol

So here is the beginning in all it's glory -

[​IMG]

I know total sadface right? It cries for a new life...

So after a lot of gutting, cleaning, scrubbing, etc. I was able to primer it and paint it the nice bright white. I used an automotive lacquer base coat and clear coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So many pieces!

[​IMG]

HARDWARE SHOT!

[​IMG]

OCZ 400W psu
    Biostar Z77 micro atx mobo
    Intel i5-3550 proc
    Patriot sector 5 - 4Gb RAM
    WD Caviar Black - 1 TB HDD

I think I'll skip the GPU since this proc should handle his PC Pinball game with no trouble.. :p

I will be adding some mild lighting to it since my dad isn't really into bling. I will use fans with blue led's and then add some 4" cold cathodes up top that are hidden to give it a little mixture.

The stock fans did a great job of cooling but the color was not what I needed so I went digging through my drawer of fans (yes I have a drawer of fans) for something better. I came across a ram cooler that had the right fans and the right color led's!

[​IMG]

So after some assembly I see a pc starting to form...

[​IMG]

You can see this is going to look pretty nice. I am just installing everything for a test fit but I'll go ahead and configure the BIOS and load the OS now since I'm waiting on some stuff to arrive. I always do the install if I can and make a "dry run" just to make sure there are no issues before I decide to mod stuff.

Yay it works! Still surprises me every time! lol

[​IMG]

Here is the best part......
    My dad is waaayyyy behind the curve and he doesn't like change. He looks at a keyboard as if it's written in hieroglyphics. So I don't want to throw too much new stuff at him.

So,

He's getting a fresh copy of Windows XP

Lol

Last edited: 27 Nov 2012
  2. BOBDBONE

I've shortened all the wires for everything, sleeved the psu wires with Red/White/Blue paracord, and started assembling everything. It's really starting to shape up nicely. These really look nice in the white color.

I also added some MNPCTECH knurled case feet. These add a splash of bling and will work good since I'm adding chrome bolts here and there.

[​IMG]

I'll be making some new windows for it soon and I'm just waiting on my lighting to show up so I can finish it up. I will also be adding the "patriotic" element very soon.........

Almost done!

3. BOBDBONE

I thought I would show the sleaving on the wires a little closer. It looks so nice not having the shrink tube.

You'll see one of these got a little extra hot but it can't be seen inside the case.

[​IMG]

I continue my qwest to make a super clean appearance so I made some panels that hide some of the areas where you put screws to hold drives in place.

Looking at this picture again you can see the little window thing (where the paracord shows the most). It's just access for screwing the optical drives in and mounting the flash card reader. So, it needs cleaned up!

[​IMG]

I made a little piece of acrylic and painted it white. It's hard to see in the pic (on the left) Then I mounted it inside. The blue stuff is the new windows.

[​IMG]

Now it's mounted -

[​IMG]

And the whole thing installed back into the case-

[​IMG]

A little nicer eh?

I am doing the same thing to the other side. These look like nice spots for something patriotic.... hmmmm.... more later.

4. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Nice finish on the paint, has really transformed the case! Sleeving looks great too.

American patriotism makes me cringe a bit though :rolleyes:

5. BOBDBONE

@ Biojellywobbles - Thx mate!

I am 99% finished!

I still need a couple little things but this is most likely my last update since I have 5 mods going right now and I have a deadline that is fast approaching.

So I added all my patriotic goodies and the lighting to it and now it looks like it could be in a Veterans Day Parade! :p My dad will love it.

Here is the reason I made the cover for the side that hides the drive bay screws and stuff. It's a place to throw a small flag onto.

[​IMG]

Here is the barrage of pics (the real reason you look at project logs). 8)

First, lets take a look at what it was in the beginning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beauty eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some red lighting with blue fans to give it a splash of color inside -

[​IMG]

:)

6. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?

Great job you've done there, but I think that it would be better to change those stickers for some painted design or something...

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Sweet little rig Bob, you may have got the LAST set of those Mnpctech case feet... unless we can find another CNC lathe :wallbash:

8. Sissilisko

Sissilisko What's a Dremel?

nice, and this give's me an really good idea of Finnish patriotic case mod, thank you for inspiration for one more plan :D

9. BOBDBONE

This is just a quick build for my dad and he will most likely pile tons of junk all around it so I didn't take the extra time to paint anything on there.

Did the old one break?! They are not cheap that's for sure. Not cheap to fix either. I crashed a couple in my days of learning to program them. The boss man was not happy.

I would love to see it!