1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 3 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 Nov 2012.

1. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

Hey! I've seen that bow before....
    Crysis 3 perhaps?

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Far Cry 2 was incredibly atmospheric, but suffered far too many mistakes - and not only the respawning checkpoints.

The glass walls, preventing it from being an actual sandbox experience. The infinite-performance rifles, so there was no difference between the killing power of the dart gun or the fifty-cal. The complete accuracy of all weapons at all distances. The fact that 50% of the crates were destructible and 50% of them weren't, so you'd be banging happily down that airport runway in your jeep at seventy to suddenly be halted by a small packing crate that would struggle to contain a medium-sized duck.

Are these problems solved in the sequel?

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Any clues as to how this game runs on different machines? A few games recently have just put what they think a high end or low end machine should be as the specs. Dishonored springs to mind, says it needs a 460 but it would happily run at full detail on a 8800GT, possibly less. I also still fail to see what possible benefits having 8 cores and 16GB of ram for Max Payne 3 would be.

Does this game really need 8GB of ram to run at full detail? Does that mean it's a 64bit exe?

4. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

You also gave Far Cry 2 a 9 and that was probably the only game i've ever felt genuinely disappointed about spending money on...

5. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

It was great! I bought it on some Steam sale and just loved touring to through the jungle by boat. AI was terribly bad though.

6. alex101

alex101 Geek

Why no mention of graphics? Or how much hardware it actually took to run (we all know publisher recommended specs are sometimes high just to make the engine look advanced). ]

Or did you only get a console version to review with? :(

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Opening line made me lol along with the closing line & all the in-between made me want the game, sounds & looks nice. :D

Want to play through some hitman 5, good old bar code head 47 first though. :D

8. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

Have to agree with this. While on the whole the game was far from great, there was something really memorable about it. If Far Cry 3 has anything like the same atmosphere with improved gameplay it will be worth a buy for me.

9. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

how did u enjoy touring when every 30sec - 1min a patrol came round and u have to fight them?

10. Griffter

also... whgy is this game getting such an early review from everyone?? does this not hurt the game when it comes out, ppl would have kind of forgotten about it beside the hardcore gamers and fans?

11. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

[​IMG]

I already bought FarCry3......

12. Deders

Deders Modder

Did you play the original?

13. Griffter

hahahhehe, ok u can stay

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I played Max Payne 3 with 16GB of RAM and I never noticed it using anywhere near that amount, in fact I don't think it even got near using 8GB.

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Me too. This review doesn't tell us whether it solves the problems, though. Can you go prone? Are all rifles laser rifles? Do darts bounce off armour? Is there any element of stealth available whatsoever?

P

16. Deders

Deders Modder

Exactly, I switched from 4 to 8GB of ram recently but now I have to send it back as it's faulty, whilst it was still working I tried Max Payne 3 and didn't notice any difference in image quality or ram usage than from when I had 4GB. The only game I've seen that actually can use more than 4GB is StarCraft 2, even then it doesn't make a difference during gameplay.

17. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Sounds great to me. Didn't appreciate the negativity. I'm an uncle, sure hope my niece doesn't think of me in the same way. And I would love a True Lies type action movie game equivalent. A lot of them attempt it, but most of them fail at being truly fun and satisfying, I have to think back to something like Halflife 2. I am not interested in going in depth on the slave trade and drug taking in a game like this, I want to shoot bad guys, cause huge explosions, save the pretty girls and escape as the hero.

Not saying a game that goes 'deep' with stuff like that would be pointless, but that's best done with a whole other series, and probably even a whole other genre. In FarCry3 did you really expect anything else? Does Arma2 deserve negativity for not exploring the horrors of dictatorships and poverty? Battlefield 3 completely ignores the important issue of the high cost of human lives in modern wars. GTA ignores the true cost of car theft and its effect on insurance. etc.

If you want to be thorough and provide a view from all angles, I'd rather you go in depth on the engine and the gameplay and pick that stuff apart.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2012
  18. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

You mean turok right?! Tek Bow Cheesecake!!! Though can't say it was good in any of the games past 2, in fact the games past 2 were pretty bleh themselves, not just the bow.

19. Xtheblackfox

Xtheblackfox What's a Dremel?

Game looks awesome, but im shocked with the optimization. Really poor :(

20. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

Have played a good few hours today and first impressions are great. :thumb: Thought the opening scenes were really well done and there's a huge amount of stuff to do, I almost can't make up my mind. The map is pretty huge aswell.

Basically seems like a much refined version of Far Cry 2 which is what i was hoping for. Had to turn off the weapon tagging and crosshair as it ruins the immersion for me, although you can still tag with your camera which is cool.

Tags: Add Tags