1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD commits to socketed CPU future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Good to hear!

C'mon AMD - we are all rooting for you - make us a good gaming CPU!

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Future socketed CPU's guaranteed, from a company who's survival is far from guaranteed.

..not very reassuring.

4. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

+1

5. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

It's good to hear, but this alone will not make me buy another AMD CPU.

They need to be competitive. I don't care if they can't beat i7's, but a decent competitor to an i5 that's useful for gaming will have to come.

Good luck to AMD, and Boo sucks to Intel. (On this front, at least.)

6. Panos

Panos Minimodder

My AMD T1090 heavily overclocked on H80, has no issue to chew and spit anything.
    On a FX990 running SLI 2 GTX580s :D

Idk why people complain with AMD cpus.

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

might be the first time in my life i move to amd it seems... cant use the terribly false fact i have been using about amd's run hot which was or was not the case wayyyyy back when i started really building my own pc's and why i kept using intel haha

8. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

so, Intel are talking 10w cpu's, and the AMD cpu's eat power for breakfast... No replaceable cpu in Apples, smartphones, tablets, TV's...

9. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

Pure performance in single threaded applications. When an i3-3225 can knock the socks off a higher clocked Piledriver based CPU, something is wrong.

Listening to some high-profile tech-oriented podcasts suggests that Broadwell be another Westmere (i.e. only selected categories) and after that Intel will be back on the socketed. Then again, Intel won't comment on the BGA rumour anyway.

10. Kastagir

Kastagir What's a Dremel?

I for one can't see what the BGA fuss is about. I honestly can't think of an occasion in the last 10 years where I have upgrade my CPU and kept my original motherboard.. I think the last time was a Slot 1 Pentium.

If BGA is the future, then I am indifferent to it.

11. Griffter

now lets say ur motherboard breaks or cpu... u gonna have to by both again, well an all in one... many ppl have had unfortunate accidents and replace half the pc due to one part is not helping. and a step back to personalizing ur pc with ur money

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

What happens if your cpu or motherboard fails. You now have to replace both instead of one. Of course there is warranty, but there is also non warranty failures, such as overclocking, water cooling leaks, second hand items. There are also those who aren't you who will upgrade their processors.Self imposed restriction is fine, but when it is imposed by someone else it is not. Anyway it's all moot because there is no significant evidence of Intel moving to BGA exclusively.

As was said in the article this is just AMD posturing on the basis of a rumour. I think it's a clever move by AMD

13. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I do agree: I never upgraded my motherboard or cpu apart from each other. But my issue with BGA is not being able to pick and choose. I'm a bit budget-conscious while buying a computer, and right now I can pick up the components I like within my limits and needs. When BGA comes in, there are chances for nice deals (as BGA is cheaper) but, and this is a big BUT, only if my idea of a good combination is the same as the manufacturer...

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Problem is people we are less than 1% of the market. Intel could not care less if we as enthusaists jump ship to AMD. It wont effect there bottem line ( which mostly comes from servers) and in all honesty they will probably save cash going BGA in the long term.

OEM sales to dell and its Ilk far outwiegh any sales that we could ever hope to make.

As for AMD will they still exist in 2 years is open to debate and that is the earliest we will see BGA from Intel. Haswell is already confirmed for a Socket.

The number of people even building a pc is likely to be in the tiny numbers due to most people not wanting to upgrade, I still have an old i7950 overclocked for gaming and its just as fast as any intel or amd cpu that has been released since in its designated task.

The last rig i built was for video work and i dout ill update that rig for 3-4 years.

Last parts i brought were 2 680s, Most of us have not brought a pc part outside of graphics or storage in years. ( Even my dell monitor is now 4 years old, mouse on gaming rig is still a mx518 and a old wired keyboard from the old days)

Not many people are upgrading to the latest and greatest anymore the CPU Era in computing is comming to an end, A 5 year old CPU is more than enough for 80% of the people out there whos idea for a computer is facebook and word processing.

Workstation users still demand all the power they can get they are a tiny amount of the market.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If not when

16. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I just ordered my first AMD processor in years, a A10-5800K (along with that sexy SUG08 case). I don't think it will fully meet the needs I have for it so, again, for the first time in years I'm really hoping to be able to do a processor swap further down the line.

As someone else said above Broadwell is expected to be very mobile based with intel returning to sockets for the next gen. Who knows for how long though.

17. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

I learned the hard way how to overclock and how untrustworthy some PSU's can be. My storage PC has a AMD 6400 black edition that has seen 4 motherboards and is still going strong. BGA would make me even more concious of what I attach to a motherboard.

18. Griffter

first its this, next its hdd's... finally all u get to buy is the equivalent of an xbox. pessimists view, my view. never trust any business man with a smile on his face with... trust me....
    valve for me is the only company left doing thing really for the positivity of pc guys, and are not afraid to say they also want to make money... all the others never talk about money as much to misdirect u with fancy shiny things yet their interest is not in breaking barriers of tech but the money barrier.

19. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

How old are you? Is the last 20+ years considered recent then?

I can see the potential benefit of BGA to both the consumers and manufacturers if it is done right. The problem is going to be in the execution. The motherboard I have is over 5 years old and originally I bought an AMD X2 running at 2.4Ghz and sometime later AMD released an X2 running at 3Ghz. It was a couple of years after I built my original system that I made that upgrade along with a new graphics card. All it took was a Bios update and popping in the new CPU and I now had a noticeable increase in performance.

So unless manufacturers are going to make say 4 processor speeds for Enthusiast, High, Medium and Entry level PC's and charge us a lot less and in turn give us a lot more for our money then that model can only fail if the competition gives us a better alternative. Either that or we get forced to adopt it because there is no other choice, in which case, R.I.P. for the PC and everyone might as well be using a console.

20. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

i have to honest all of my upgrades well sort of involved replacing everything, (for the last 10 years) and Im almost certain there has only been 2-3 motherboard failures where I had to transfer the processor to a new board, so im guessing the BGA thing is not that life threatening to me I usually replace my hardware every year