1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help me mod a Mini-ITX case to support enthusiast class parts?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DarkSable, 25 Nov 2012.

1. DarkSable

DarkSable What's a Dremel?

So... I'm kinda insane. Here's my rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.4 GHz & 1.18V
    MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 w/7/8/8/24
    GPU: GeForce GTX 670 2GB Cheesecake edition, @ 1246 MHz
    PSU: Corsair HX750 [Gold certified model]
    SSD: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 on a 6GB/s line
    HHD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

Now then. I want to shove this into a mini-ITX case. This one, to be exact:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811345016

And I want to water cool it.

For those of you who are still here, and haven't abandoned me to my idiocy, help me plan some mods here, would you?

Here's what I'm looking at.

1) Removing the front panel of the motherboard stand / PSU cage. My power supply is too long for it and cables to fit in there. Any advice on how to support the structure?
    I don't think leaving just the corners would do the trick.

2) Removing everything in the front so I can fit a 200mm square radiator and a reservoir, as well as a 240mm radiator up at the top. That shouldn't be a problem, as it only takes a screwdriver, but it makes the next couple things interesting.

3) Mounting a slim DVD-RW drive vertically along one side of the case. I have no idea how to go about doing this, and would love the advice. I was thinking to mount it on the side panel.

4) Finding somewhere to throw my 3.5" drive after removing all hard drive bays. I was thinking possibly lashing it down on the floor of the case with the reservoir on top of it. Wouldn't be too bad unless the reservoir broke...

5) Trying to fit watercooling for the graphics AND an intake fan between the PCIe slot and the side panel. (Because of the reservoir, my intakes will be at the back and side, both filtered.)

6) Doing something with the space above the motherboard; possibly a disco ball.

7) Removing the bottom handles and putting on rubber feet. Still not sure if I want to do this one or not - it'd make the case more portable, but slightly ruin the aesthetics.

8) This is the hardest... Moving the front I/O panel to the 5.5" bay slot. If there's a way to do this, I'd be ecstatic, but it's the hardest to do as far as I can see.

Any suggestions for other things to do to this case? Any way you can see of accomplishing the mods I'm worried about?

2. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

The link to newegg is dead.

3. Dmlindley

Dmlindley What's a Dremel?

Please put up either a link that works or at least the make and model of the case.

Now with that said, pertaining to the 3.5 HD.. Have you thought about actually mounting it under the case? Actually outside of the case with the cables running in through drilled holes with grommets

4. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

why ppl buy a high wattage PSU, although they pc parts dont even reach halve of its maximum psu wattage? You can save maybe around 50$ and invest it on an i7.. well, just my 2c

and yes your link is dead.