1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Cheapest way to get full copy of Win8?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sotu1, 4 Dec 2012.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

anyone know what the cheapest way is to get a full copy copy of Win8 (ie, not an upgrade)

Thanks!

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

The only way to get a non upgrade version of win 8 is to buy a system builder version, which you can now do legally it is available in both win 8 and win 8 pro versions

There is no retail version per se now

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

For home use buy the System Builder version :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-WN7-00403-English-Version/dp/B009HI2W66/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-FQC-05955-English/dp/B009HI3WOC/

Then according to first line of System Builder licence :
    http://oem.microsoft.com/public/sblicense/sb_licenses/oem_system_builder_license_english.pdf
    Go to :
    http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

Then read the licence (which gives you pretty much the same rights as FPP product before), check the checkbox, fill in the fields and press Submit to accept the Personal Use Licence.

Unfortunately for non-personal use (that AFAIK means commercial use) there is no FPP product yet. You will have to either buy OEM, Action Pack or one of other licencing options.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

5. faugusztin

Technically yes, legally no.

6. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

What in the instance that my Primary HDD dies, I lose all installations of windows, and I only have the upgrade option - surely microsoft has put in a proviso for that?

There's no way in hell I'm purchasing another full price copy just to be able to get my system operating again, and no way I'll go through the hassle of reinstalling and reactivating windows 7.

To be honest, once I get my boxed copy of Win8, 7 is going through the shredder ;)

7. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

Buy a serial code off eBay. I've had 3 copies of W7 that way. Then use official ISOs and install from USB!

8. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

That sounds slightly dodgy as the serial could be for a vl copy.

9. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

vl?

10. faugusztin

Volume licencing. Serial codes assigned to a company.

But seriously guys, he ask the cheapest way to get it legally.

11. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

Not specifically but w/e. just a suggestion.

12. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I don't think Bill would mind, so long as he paid something... ;)

Where can one obtain an official / clean ISO anyway?

13. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Are you a student? If you are check if you have access to Dreamspark, where you may have access to several copies of Windows 8. I think you need access to Dreamspark Pro. I have access through my subscription to IEEE (which doesn't cost too much as a student and is an excellent source of science and technology based news etc.), because my uni only gives access to Dreamspark Pro to the computer related courses.

14. Victoria

Victoria Banned

Yes if you are a student then get your Windows 8 copy from dreamspark.it is free of charge for students.Register and get your copy.

15. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I have an upgrade key.

PC needed formatting from scratch.

Put in Windows 8 disk entered my upgrade key.

Sorted. No reg fixes. It jut works.

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

What he said. I bought the upgrade, formatted the drive. Installed the upgrade and it never once asked for my previous installation data.

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It won't ask for any previous key, but it may get a bit funny (ie. not let you) if to try and activate on a system that didn't have an eligible OS installed prior to the upgrade.

The downloader/installer in the download version of the upgrade gives you the option to download an ISO or create bootable USB (the -bit version matches the system you are downloading it from).

You can then use this to perform what effectively amounts to a clean install on any system that has a valid OS installed already (not necessary the system you downloaded it from), which in this case is any legit version of Windows from XP onwards. The only remnants of the old system is the Windows.old folder, which is actually pretty handy for quickly transferring files to the new system (I wouldn't trust it without backups though).

If you wanted to you could even do a clean install of any old Windows licence you have lying about, and then install the Win8 upgrade media onto that.

Installing on a freshly formatted drive may not activate, an is breaking the EULA. I must admit though, I've never seen the issue with using the aforementioned reg fix to get round this as long you legitimately fulfilling the upgrade criteria.
    As far as I can tell the method above is just as clean as installing on a freshly formatted disk, but if you are upgrading you drive at the same time it seems a bit silly to have to install one OS just in order to install another.

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

My upgrade also installed and activated from a clean install, no fuss at all.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Same here, my laptop HDD died, I tried to recover to a new disc via my restore DVDs which refused to install on the new hybrid drive I had as it it lacked the recovery partition....doh what its the point of recovery dvds if you can't restore to a new drive.

I then thought bugger it I installed W7 fresh using key on my laptop only to discover Sony does not sign up to all the driver certifications so couldn't use latest Ati drivers etc, started frigging about with the system to put Sonys' hacked stuff on and some how managed to end up with my system telling my I had non legit windows.....aaargh

Blatted the disc and took a punt on the W8 upgrade on a blank disc and it worked no problem, all activated etc along with Windows media Player and even had OK drivers out of the box for the most part, yay :)

As that was painless and so cheap, I have now bought it for all my systems.

20. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Install an earlier OS.. or even a 30 day trial.. reinstall over that. (with a format)