1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 15 Aug 2011.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

"Wildly hard" isn't quite accurate, but if you are hell-bent on playing him the way everyone seems to think he should be played then yes, I would say he's wildly hard. But it's just the way you yourself decide to work to his strengths.

Some people don't fully grasp that Dota can be moulded in almost every aspect depending on what you want. You can play carry enchantress, and you can play support enchantress, it really is up to you.

Most people think there is just one way to play Chen: focus on his creep-control spell and build up an army of creeps asap, then go gank and push towers. This method of playing him is very difficult, and confusing unless you've practiced enough (which people won't usually bother with anyway) as you need to think about your own hero being fragile as well as controlling the spells of a bunch of creeps. Needs lotsa micro. Positioning again!

However, Chen is very easy to play well if you do what I mentioned before, concentrate on his nuke/saving spell and the slow/damage amplifier, and just gank with him. His global heal ultimate is very powerful, his nuke is very powerful if a bit random (and has nice range plus it's instant), and the slow helps your team to focus enemies. But definitely take one level at least of his creep spell, grab a disabling creep e.g. a centaur, then run it in and stomp/clap/mana burn whatever. Really gives you the edge early game, and also allows you to 1v1 almost any hero for a large part of the game.

Now which one is more beneficial, going mass creeps (hard way) or going gang/teamfighter with just one creep (my way)? That depends on your team, their team, and the game in general.

Which brings me to another point, start to understand why people do stuff in Dota. You know that it is a bad idea to go boots first on almost any hero, or that a BKB on Shadow Fiend can win you the game; but the most important thing is to know why that actually is the case. Then you can instantly mould your play to suit the game at hand.

Anyway it's exactly like Sloth said, people get caught up in the idea that they can't play him before trying! If you want a fun game, something interesting and challenging, want to help your team instead of yourself and feel good about it, then feel free try my Chen style as detailed above!

Edit: Another very general thing I wanna say, you can play and have fun with any hero in the game, even if you hate them, as long as you know exactly what you need to do and you do it to the best of your ability! All you need is the right mentality, a bit of a flair for pulling off things, an intrigue with the unknown, you just got to want to do well ;)
    The main problem resulting in people hating heroes is not knowing what they actually should do, doing the wrong thing, and being frustrated when it doesn't work.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2012
  2. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I've got 3 invites to give away

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Same here they're bogging me down

4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Anyone still have an invite? Looking to get one for my GF. She's been playing on my steam account for now but to really teach her I'd like to be able to lane with her.

5. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Sure, just PM me your email address.

will_123 likes this.
  6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Deadbolt will take one of those keys of you for my mate if you still have it?

Also used centaur war runner last night, he is really good. His ult is great for rushing with your team. And I managed to farm quite well so he was doing some serious damage towards the end.

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Having a good Centaur player on your team is massive, even when he is not with the team, you can dive in and utilise his ult across the map to escape after the kill. You can initiate teamfights, get pickoffs (vital late game), and capitalize on enemy mistakes very easily.

8. will_123

One thing i did see when playing a captains game the other day was there are characters that are blanked out, like centaur and drow. Why is that?

9. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Only thing I can think of is the DotA 1 style system where new or recently remade heroes aren't cleared for CM mode until a lot of testing has been done, to keep competitive games completely fair.

Any new hero used to take a good month or two to be allowed in CM. I'm not sure why drow would be grayed out though.. didn't get changed recently did she?

10. Aterius Gmork

Sent out a few emails.

I have one more key to give away. If anyone wants it PM me your email address.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012
  11. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Ha, sorry mate.
    Gave them away to a couple gaming buddies last night.
    If only you had been a few hours early

12. will_123

Its no bother I have one, just on the scrounge for my mate. Think I managed to get one from Aterius Gmork anyway. Thanks though.

13. Aterius Gmork

And all gone. We will probably get new ones during the weekend, they are giving away keys like it's Christmas already. Good thing though, this way I might finally play some rounds with some actual human beings instead of some screaming abusing twelve year old Russian kids.

wafflesomd likes this.
  14. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

I have 4 copies to give away. PM if interested

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I really appreciate it Aterius.

16. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

I have 6 copies to give away, PM or leave Steam email/username here

17. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I got 5 through today so there's plenty going if anyone wants one.

18. sygitius

sygitius What's a Dremel?

I would like one please
    sygitius@gmail.com

19. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

20. will_123

Same here I got given loads 7 I think. Used 4 of them so only have 3 left. But all my mates have it now. Give me a PM if you want one :)