1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Which Dyson?

Discussion in 'General' started by longweight, 9 Dec 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

So our vacuum cleaner just died and I want to get a Dyson this time but I am struggling to pick one!

We live in a one bedroom flat so don't have miles of carpet to cover but must be good with long hair! I would prefer a full stand up model instead of the cylinder but that isn't essential.

Is the ball technology worth it? Any particular models that anyone can recommend?

2. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

I've used the DC24 in a one bedroom flat and it worked really well. It's very compact so doesn't take up much space and is easy to get into small spaces with. The ball does make it easier to get round furniture and under things, not sure it is worth the extra cost on its own though. Only problem is the small cylinder means you need to empty it more, but in a small flat that isn't much of a problem.

Bit expensive though, but I didn't pay for it.

3. longweight

Thank you :) That was one of the models that I have been looking at, will probably end up going with that one!

4. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Dyson's are such a waste of money

5. longweight

Going to justify that statement?

6. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

They may be expensive but the build quality is brilliant. My parents had a DC04 for 8 years and the only thing they needed to replace was the hose. They only replaced it because my mum wanted something she could carry upstairs more easily.

7. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

$500 for a vaccuum is senseless. My $200 one is just as powerful, cyclone tech and all

8. longweight

Is it as well built? Will it last ten years? Does it have a 5 year warranty?

Have you ever owned a Dyson?

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

TGS - Just like buying a 1000W generic PSU as opposed to a nice Corsair one, right? right? ;)

*troll face*

Anyway - we have a dyson, its fantastic, and that ball thing really does make it easy to hoover with :)

10. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Big time +1 for this, I live in a one bedroom flat that has limited storage room. I have one room with wood floor, one tiled bathroom and a carpeted bedroom, its perfect. I highly recommend paying the dosh for a Dyson, had them in various forms for many years and have never let me down.

11. longweight

Thanks guys, would you buy it from Amazon or the Dyson site? Dyson is a tenner more.

12. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

I cannot think of any reason to spend more getting it from Dyson directly.

Also it might be worth looking at the Dyson Clean and Tidy Kit, worth it for £20 as most of the tools cost that each. But you will want to make sure it isn't included as standard, as it is with some Dysons (My parents got one free with their DC24).

13. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I got mine from currys but had some vouchers and at the time topcashback was at 2.5% which now is only at 1.5% so all that worked in my favour. I will only generally buy from Amazon if i can't get it cheaper and/or with cashback from elsewhere.

Saying that, Dyson's site is listed on topcashback.com for 5.05% cashback, something for nothing doesn't hurt ;)

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I am looking at the Dyson, and it seams they aren't as good as before.
    Power and all is all good, but here what worries me:
    -> The canister empty process, is not one handed as they demo on their commercial. They are many youTube video on this, it's also hard to grip in 2 hands, as the button release is too hard to press.

-> The latch for the canister, to keep it close and a little tiny plastic tab. I think this will break easy, if you are not careful, and if it does, you'll definitely need a new canister. The old design (and other vacuum design, except the cheapo ones), are better, where you have an actual latch system.

-> The auto-switch carpet to floor attachment apparently breaks easy. So I guess stay with the traditional method, until the next revision at least.

-> Dyson vacuum are very powerful.. perhaps too powerful.. it might suck in light weight, and long string carpets. (http://consumerist.com/2012/11/02/my-dyson-vacuum-cleaned-my-carpet-then-shredded-it/)

-> The expendable hose system isn't smartly design, where if you use it for a long time, and decide to change the length of it, you'll see dust on the whose, which will need to be cleaned.

So watch out for those.

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My sister was given a nearly new DC24 when the motor went in her DC07.

She didn't give it good reports at all, doesn't like the ball idea and it's no where near as powerful as her old one.

I refurbed her DC07 with a new motor, filters, brush bar and sole plate and she has gone back to using that one full time.

Our vax mach cleaner failed on us recently after 3 years of use and vax sent us a new cleaner for the princely sum on £3.99 to cover admin fees which I was well chuffed with, not too impressed with the build quality but it's the most powerful cleaner I have used to date plus they honoured the remaining 3 years of the warranty too.

16. longweight

Interesting, there are around 500 reviews on the Dyson site, nearly all positive.

Hmmm...

17. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I have one of the dc animals and they are pretty amazing

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

18. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

DC50 dual layer of cyclones loads of new advanced tech, smallest and most powerful they've ever made.

Will only find it in currys/dyson themselves though, it's exclusive.

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I use the dc 33 and its brilliant. There bedroom house

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Personally, I wouldn't have a Dyson in our house. We have a 1900W Bosch bagged vacuum cleaner and it's brilliant. We've had quite a few different brands over the years and it has been the best of all to date. The reason I don't particularly like Dyson cleaners is because I've had a lot of experience using them and most of those experiences have been negative. On every site we go to work on, be it residential or commercial, the vacuum cleaner is the first thing we ask for, usually to catch dust when we're drilling. Of all the cleaners I've been handed in the length of time I've been doing this sort of work, about 70% of them have been Dysons, mostly in private residences. Of those 70%, more than half were rubbish. I personally put this down to the cleaner being poorly maintained - I'm told by Dyson owners who have a hoover that will actually clean stuff, that they require the filters to be cleaned regularly and the "bagless" system needs to be washed out once or twice a year as well. I think the average, non-technically minded Dyson owner probably overlooks this regular maintenance and just let their expensive vacuum cleaner get gradually worse over time. Most of all though, I would find spending that sort of money on a vacuum cleaner a pretty hard pill to swallow.