1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Satellite PVR - Votick needs you help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 11 Dec 2012.

1. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find a decent Satalite PVR to buy for my Dad for Christmas (He might even get it early to record all those classic films that come on TV over Christmas ;D )

What we have at the moment connected to the main TV is a Freesat box which just records Freesat, It turns it's self on most the time and the fans are far too noisy. However the quality it records at is in fairness pretty good.

Under this we have a DVD Player/DTV PVR which seems to take a year to turn on.

What I would like to do is replace both units for 1.
    I would like to do the following:

• Record and Watch Free to Air Satalite TV (Dual Tuner)
    • Play DVDs (Blu Ray would be nice also)
    • Able to run BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Netflix.
    • Stream photo's and video from the network - LAN From Windows Home Server
    • No noisy fans :(

On another note is it possible to record and then get the file off a PVR? I've never seen it done unless it's a Media Center PC.

Thanks to all in advance that reply to this.

:thumb: :thumb:

2. bnicholls195

bnicholls195 What's a Dremel?

I think your only choice is looking for an old 2011 Panasonic freesat pvr as they stopped making freesat boxes this year. They were the only brand that had dual tuner and blue ray in one box that I am aware of. I will post the model numberlater when I am at work.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Win8 MediaPC with Blackgold tuners and Mediacenter addin should do all you need, tiled front end works well for all the sites like netflix, must admit I have not played a Bluray on mine since the upgrade to eight as I use PS3 for 3D playback but I do the rest of this on a 1.9Ghz X2 with onboard HD3200, not exactly highend, only noise is HDD.

Can the Humax PVRs boxes not do a majority of this with a custom firmware.

4. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?