1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Cost of Christmas

Discussion in 'General' started by penryn 2 hertz, 4 Dec 2012.

1. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

People prefer to feel like someone owes them, rather than they owe someone. Feeling like you owe someone if you have very little is painful. Therefore even if it lacks the intention the gift giving only really serves the party who can afford to gift rather than the one who has to accept it in terms of such financial disparity.

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I'm looking at about £300 this year. I'm not keen on finding presents, generally tend not to be great at finding them, but pretty pleased with choices so far this year, and it'll be worth every penny.

3. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Thanks to ^ my wife gets an awesome pressie and because I've been hyper organised and got my folks and her folks to buy further accessories it is made doubly awesome.

But getting back to the point after presents, travel to Norfolk to my folks and various visits to friends/pubs etc it'll come in at around £800.

Wife has £330, family have around £300 so seems like a fair split to me :D

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That is part of the reason we do the fixed low price secret santa. It removes the pressure from those with a lower income to keep up with the high earners in the family.

5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Just gave everyone scratchcards in there cards...

Shirty and Teelzebub like this.
  6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

My cost is currently £0 and is not set to rise much above that, as we (my family) aren't doing presents this year. Money is just too tight to throw about.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

My mum has a severe disability so shes house/wheelchair bound, shes also broke and essentially lives out of my current account (thats what we kids are for!).

Of course she's my mum and I don't begrudge her this, I'll look after her financially until her dying day (god forbid)...but my online banking currently tells me that £2,000 has been spent in 3 weeks on BidUpTV....that's a rate of spending on-top of my own life and spending that I'm going to struggle with....obviously it's only a Christmas thing...and I feel sorry for how unbelievably bored she must get stuck at home...but how to broach this subject?

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You could give her a pre-paid card to use. You have to have control over your finances to keep the situation stable for everybody. Good luck MiNiMaL_FuSS and I hope you and your family have a merry christmas.

9. TheTourist

TheTourist Minimodder

I second this, perfect way of managing things. And kudos MiNiMaL_FuSS, it's a shame that some people seem to abandon their parents once they age.

Back on topic I can't see Christmas costing much more than £50, my family and I are just a bunch of jaded old buggers who don't really celebrate it much. But I reckon at 3 and a half years old my little nephew is ready for his first radio controlled car! :D

----

Edit, make that £90, forgot to factor in the ridiculously expensive and unreliable train journey to visit said nephew.

10. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

As of yesterday, Christmas got a ****-ton more expensive in the form of having had to purchase a new sofa-bed, armchair and dining room table. £800 or there abouts for the lot.

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Cheers.

Although kudos to the forum, you guys donated her a computer last year between yourselves :D

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

So far, nothing. Don't really 'do' Christmas due to parents living abroad.

We normally have our turkey etc at Easter instead, and presents are given throughout the year when there is something someone needs/wants.

13. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Looking at this thread, this seems to be more common than I thought it would.

When you see all the social media updates and friends talking about going all out, you think that most people "do" Christmas.

I come to the forum, and it's quite the opposite.

Just an interesting observation.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I do 'do' Christmas, I just don't do the overspending on pointless things. Like I say me and the GF aren't doing presents but putting that cash towards a trip to the Fjords next year.

I'd rather do that than us spend on things that we could buy ourselves that are nice but, well, not really necessary.

What I don't 'do' is social media - that's a platform which just encourages the oneupmanship by some people on randoms they seldom see.

15. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I'll agree with that.

I was more making an observation, that in general, I see more people here who can't be bothered with Christmas than what I see out and about, or talking with friends.

I was just wondering why that was so?

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I should clarify, I love certain aspects of Christmas, but hate the over priced, over hyped sham of television induced christmas.. I think the fact they can sell tinsel and the like in September is an utter joke.

17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Girl friends angry because i can't afford to buy anyone presents this year.

Damnit! I've got all my own bills to worry about such as my insurance £300 a month, My contract phone £40 a month, that's without petrol, maintenance and other crap!

She would rather me default on bills that matter instead of wasting money buying people damn presents.

18. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Ah, I see.

I'm with you on that, which Is why I'm spending Christmas with my Norwegian family this year. Christmas seems so much more traditional there.

We all have to dress our smartest on the day and follow traditions that have been around for hundreds of years.

19. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Sounds like you've had nothing but love and devotion from this one..........

The best Christmas present she should want, is for you to pay your bills off, seeing as you have a little one on the way.

I thought that might be the priority?

20. Strudul

Strudul ~