1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The games I'd like to unplay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 13 Dec 2012.

1. alex101

alex101 Geek

The opening 15 minutes of Crysis 1. I remember the graphics taking my breath away... and the fact that it's so peaceful and stealthy - and then the sun comes up and you meet Korean soldiers for the first time :D

2. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I'd love to be completely new to EVE Online again, I don't play it these days, but I remember the excitement of discovering a new module or feature, the pain and adrenaline rush of my first death, and the moment when I got my first battleship.

Now everything is old hat and I can never have that feeling again.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Would love to unplay KOTOR I & II so I could relive them.
    Especially KOTOR wit the restoration mod which I've heard rather good things about (will probably play it over Christmas)
    The stories were just so good.

Also +1 for the opening on Crysis, epic stuff.

4. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Any/Every Zelda. I don't remember the first time I played most games, but I can vividly recall the excitement of the first play of each and every new Zelda game, I can remember how old I was, what was going on, what snacks I was eating and who I was playing with.

5. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

For me, in the way you would like to unplay BF2, I would love to unplay Elite on the BBC micro. When you first leave the space station and can fly in a "3D" field and then your first battle against pirates was gobsmacking. This just hadn't been seen before and for me is an experience I will never forget.

I for a game I wish I had never played; COD Modern Warfare II. I just hated this - talk about zero lack of originallity. According to steam I have played under 5hrs (and completed the singleplayer) and a grand total of zero seconds on the multiplayer.

6. capmoq

capmoq What's a Dremel?

Red Alert 3
    Command & Conquer 4
    Devil May Cry 2
    World of Warcraft

7. stonedScientist

stonedScientist What's a Dremel?

Would love to unplay DoD. And to a certain extent CS. Although it wasn't fun being a noob in CS. But the addiction to gaming I got from CS was like no other. Unbelievable.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

I'd like to unplay wow, I'd ge back in excess of £700 + 2-3 years of my time. That was 1 addicitive game.

9. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I really liked Brink . . . until an eyefinity update made it no longer work. Haven't checked to see if they have it working again, but I was pretty mad about that.

10. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Half life 2 - the gravity gun in ravenholm.

11. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

I did try it again, several times about six months apart each time and it was still painful.
    Promises so much, but it just never happens and knowing how reviewers raved about it just seems to make it even worse.

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Morrowind. Dear god I'll never see light again.

I'll also defend Far Cry 2. The game suffered from some terrible design decisions that seemed to have been implemented in the last minute. The respawns and the kevlar skin issue seems like an easily remediable issue. The game is in fact stunning and there is quite a bit to love about it. The only problem is trawling through what probably is the most disappointing thing because of the massive amount of potential it contains. And that's the sad part, Ubisoft's been locking out modders for years now, and they really shouldn't. Most of their games would benefit heavily from just a few simple mechanics tweaks.

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Not so much unplay Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as delete it from the history of humankind.

There were better games, with much better engines. Like Shattered Horizon.

LOL

14. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

Unplay and get my money back: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I'd also like to unplay Diablo 3 if it wasn't for the $1000 or so I made selling all my stuff when I finally decided the game did indeed suck badly.

What I'd like to have over again, is a hard thing to say, because often those experiences were specific to the time period, especially so in regards to graphics - but I'd definitely say:

Diablo 1
    Red Dead Redemption
    FTL

15. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Unplay and remove from steam and my memory:

Borderlands
    Bioshock
    Homefront
    MoH: Warfighter

16. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Unplay Fallout 3 and leave New Vegas as the sequel. It just fits in far better into the story of the series. Play Fallout 3 later but just rename it wasteland or something since is rather disconnected from the rest of the series.

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The flaming zombies running around screaming in the demo almost put me off playing HL2. Glad it didn't.

I still own a copy of Portal I've never played. Should probably do that one of these days.

18. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Fallout 3. Dragon Age 2. Sleeping dogs

19. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Rogue Warrior.. never got to play it, glitched to hell - my fault for buying a game that had a good picture on the front cover..

Warhammer something or other.. (first person game)

And all the crap I've bought cheaply in the steam sale, without even knowing what it is!

20. von_stylon

von_stylon uber micro

breed. anyone remeber that? pushed as the halo beater and the demo was promising but the game was released broken and unfinished to say the least. i think i played it for all of ten mins before i rubbished it off.

Tags: Add Tags