1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks your thoughts on my planned network setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snood, 18 May 2003.

1. Snood

Snood What's a Dremel?

ok i have come up with 2 ever so slightley different network options.. i want wireless networking for my laptop too.... so ...
    option 1
    [​IMG]
    OR
    option2
    [​IMG]

or has anyone got any better ideas???

Snood

2. vi-kata

vi-kata What's a Dremel?

Both network designs are pretty much of a muchness, so if I were you I'd look at it on a cost basis.

Option 1 uses less hardware, Option 2 might use cheaper hardware. Unless you've got a preference for a particular piece of hardware (ie a specific wireless DSL gateway box) then whichever soution is cheaper is probably the better one.

HTH
    Kata

3. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

personally I would go with A

so as not to use up tons of bandwidth on a router, but a switch

4. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Actually, that router should be a combo router/switch, so it doesn't matter that devices are plugged directly into it...no difference from the other switch.

I don't see a difference between them really, other than price, as was mentioned already.

5. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

oh yeah, good point

yeah I geuss pretty much only price then

6. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

ok i had some trouble understanding what you ment by trafic but im going to assume you mean data streams to worksations or other systems. dont know if you want this for work or home, but if for work keep the patch panel. patch panels are your friend.

if its for home you could ditch the patch panel but like i said patch panels are your friend.

anyway

i would recomend having the wirless access point conected directly to the router. alot of people will argue that there i no advantage to this. and well, from a access or admin point of view maybe there isnt. but if you have the switch conected to one interface and the wireless to the other, any problems on the interface with the switch dosent cause problems with the wireless point. another advantage of this is that it segments the 2 parts. so any kind of broadcasting on the interface with the switch connected doesnt affect the speeds on the wireless, this also holds true to collisions.

also it allows you to keep the 2 different mediums on their own interfaces. this is nice if you have to trouble shoot one of them. this way a problem from one doesnt take down the other. blah blah blah. im tired and i feel crapy so im going to bed. hope this helps.

[​IMG]

oh and i want to thank hamlesh.com for provideing a free hotlinkable image gallery. the owner is a bit tech bretheren, however i cant remember if s/he uses the same name for bit-tech, but thanks again

Tags: