1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fly, 10 May 2003.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Got my Evaluation copy of Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition today. Wonder if anybody has installed this and formed an opinion on it yet?

btw, if you want a copy for fun, business or pleasure get it here:

Click meh!

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Coincidence,

I just got my evaluation copies of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and windows 2000 advanced server today.

3. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Buddy of mine has 2003 server, and he says it's great. Rock solid and stable as Hell. He's had to reboot once since he installed, and that was for video driver installation :eeek: I think he's had it for about four or five months now.

And my friend usually had ot reboot every week about, and usually re-install or do major repairs to his install every couple of weeks. He's almost as bad as me, except he abuses his OSes, I mean, he puts them through Hell.m Pure Hell.

4. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

Just installed it yesterday... on a lowly Duron 1200 w/256DDR...Coming from the Unix world I really hate to admit it, but it runs fantastic... very snappy...and for once M$ released a product that doesn't have evey service inthe world turned on by default! You actually have to enable each service as you need them instead of the usual reverse method. Although like all other M$ servers right out of the box a single DOS flood (ping -f -s 65000) hoses its TCP stack, but unlike 2K when the DOS attack is over it straightens up and flies right without a reboot.

From what i've seen so far it looks pretty good, wonder if they actually followed the rumor of putting the Windoze GUI over a Linux kernel? From the overall responsiveness so far i'd believe it.

Monday i'll install it on a Dual 2.4G with w/4G RAM, and then subject it to the rath of half a dozen linux boxes to see if i can really get her to blow chunks.

5. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

I've had it through on Technet, but not had a chance to play.. may do next week. The only problem I have is that if I like it, I've got to try and convince people to pay for the upgrade :)

6. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I really like it! which is a shock for me ;)

I still wont recommend it for at least 6-12 months tho.

7. Phate

Phate What's a Dremel?

Hi all!

I was wondering if any of you tried playing games on this OS as I maybe tempted to try due to the stablity if it will run any games...

Cheers,

Marty P :naughty:

8. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

That's an expensive games machine, why not just stick with XP?

9. Phate

Phate What's a Dremel?

XP Pro is I suppose as stable as hell, but I'm gonna get a 4.2GHz rig, just to beat the hell out of P 4s!

So I though, why not give it a decent solid and reliable OS?

Have any of you tried playing games on it?

Thanks for your help!

Marty P :thumb:

10. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

I'm curious to know where your getting these 4.2 GHz CPUs ?

Or do you mean 2.4 GHz, or do you mean four 2GHz Xeons for quad rig ?

:eyebrow:

Also usually a server OS isn't god for gaming, as it is optimized for services, and whiel there wouldn't be any real difference, finding drivers may be a little hard if they aren't completely compatible, etc.

Also if you want a stable OS, look into Windows 2000, although my one friend has told me they are taking it off the market in a few months :waah:

But if you can get a hold of a copy, I'd recommend 2000 over XP, I find it to be more stable, and less of a security hole, and less of a butt rape.

11. vi-kata

vi-kata What's a Dremel?

I went on the first of the partner readiness courses that Microsoft ran shortly before 2k3 was released. We were working with RC2, but from what I've seen it doesn't look significantly different to the final code.

Some of the best improvements are in the Group Policy management tools - it looks like MS have basically included most of the functionality from FAZAM!2000 into the Group Policy Management Tool - you can now export GPOs and run proper audits on them. Woot!!!

Replication is enchanced quite a bit, but so few customers in NZ really have complicated replication topologies it's not really that relevant over here yet.

The migration path from NT4 straight to 2k3 is very nice too - the ability to raise domain and forest functional levels separately is great.

And to top it all off, my personal favourite things are the non-installation of IIS by default, and the removal of "web-content in folders" and the like. Explorer shows things in "details" mode, which is almost always how you want it when you're working on a server.

No, I haven't tried any games on it :)

Kata

12. Phate

Phate What's a Dremel?

Na, it's not an actual 4.2GHz Single CPU, it's a Dual CPU beast! 2x AMD Athlon MP 2100+'s!

I know that it is mainly for businesses (the OS) however so is XP an 2k, and they play games!

I used 2000 for about 1 year or so and whenever I format - every month - I needed to download SP3 which is huuuuuuuuggge! So I run XP Pro, less updates to do! :thumb:

Thanks for the help!

Marty P :clap:

13. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

hehe, I have ordered a copy off 2003 and 2003 server:D

14. Joshwah

Joshwah Minimodder

Ive order 2003 and server im going to try it out on my server but does anybody no how long it lasts?? Im running 2k at the moment on my webserver and its serving me very well ive gone about 8weeks without a reset which is good for windows.

15. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

It's an evaluation copy with a 180 day limit on it.

16. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I've had it installed since RC1, in fact it's still RC1. I've had RC2 and now the final, but I can't tell much difference between them.

I've been using it at LAN's as a game server and it has never, not once crashed or behaved badly. I love XP, but I can't say that about it.

Once you find all the little hidden sliders and services to notch up and turn on, it's more or less WinXP Server.

I like it.

17. quack

quack Minimodder

I went to a TechNet seminar about Windows Server 2003 last friday, which was incredibly boring as they mostly talked about the admin tools from Win2k as they're the same in 2k3, but it looks rock solid and should be a great platform to upgrade to.

I've been using it since RC1 too.

You can enable on the Themes service to turn on Luna, and then you can find an uxtheme patch or use the latest StyleXP to change the visual style to whatever you want.

2003 should be able to run most software that XP can, but as it really is a server OS there are some things it can't. Like Norton AntiVirus 2003 for one, you need a Corporate edition.

I haven't tried any games out on it yet.

Here's a good site to help you make it run more like a workstation: 'ere

Last edited: 22 May 2003
  18. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

[​IMG]

Mine came today:baby:

Tags: