1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Machined Billet Alumium Cased Power PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_R1_Kid, 26 Dec 2010.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Thanks for expanding! One more question which really intrigues me: could you explain a bit the reasoning/logic behind the ribs in the panels? I assume they are in part about giving the panels structural rigidity, but why do they run the way they run, and are the smaller ribs basically to accommodate the motherboard mounting holes? Stuff like that.

2. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid What's a Dremel?

You are right they are what give the box it's strength. The skin between the ribs is only 2mm thick. I could have gone to 1mm thick skin without sacrificing any strength. unfortunately I didn't have time to deal the potential problems that could have came from from machining such thin aluminum, I only had time to do everything once, and I knew I could machine down to 2mm thick with no problems.

[​IMG]

The pattern of all the plates followed this plates pattern as closely as possible. The thought was to distribute forces applied to the corners or the middle of the plates to the other corners/ middle of plates. Just like a truss bridge or a ceiling truss.

Yes any rib other than that basic pattern was to accommodate another feature like a tapped hole on the inside or a through hole like the air grills ect.

3. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Nice! Looks much better than the flying saucer on top.

4. nigelnathan

nigelnathan What's a Dremel?

strong case, not going to break in a hurry.

5. KRQKAN

KRQKAN What's a Dremel?

Damn want that kinda (milling machine?) dad have all kinda machines, exept that kind :p Nice build :D:D

6. The_R1_Kid

HI all, I'm thinking about selling the Billet PC.

Does anyone have thoughts on what it might be worth, and where I should list it for sale other than eBay?

Specs are:
    Intel Core i7 980x extreme 3.3GHZ 6 core
    12GB G skill DDR3 SDRAM 1600
    ASUS Sabertooth X58 mother board
    Noctua NH-D14 SSO CPU cooler
    ATI FirePro V5800 1GB PCIE Work Station Video Card
    OCZ Vertex 120GB Solid State Drive
    Western digital 250GB Storage HD
    Running Windows 7 professional 64bit, and Ubuntu

and of course the one of a kind billet case.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  7. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Are you kidding?

Bumping the thread after TWO YEARS because you want to sell the PC? This is no for sale forum mate.

8. The_R1_Kid

Wow, I can nott believe the attitude on this forum... I post up a build and get hated on. Ask a question get a rude reply. I remember why I neglected to stick around in this community of arrogant nerds.
    A computer case is the most simplistic, basic component of a computer. Modding or building a case doesn't take any skill. Especially compared to designing a mother board or video card. There is no reason to be anything but supportive in this nerdy hobby.

I'll go back to ****ing my hot wife, designing for industry, and making cool stuff. You all can keep making your computer cases.

p0Pe likes this.
  9. J-Lyons

J-Lyons What's a Dremel?

Buh bye

10. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Yes, that attitude will make people love you:)

Good luck with the last 3 things you mentioned. Thats what most of us do every day, anyways:)

If I have to comment on the thing you have made, then its cool enough to make it from billet. I just dislike the fact that you just left it as that, without doing any afterwork on it, such as paint, or polishing which would have brought up the details much more.

With that "I am cool, see me, blow me" attitude you have, you proberly would not have made it very far into this community anyways.

HF.

Editor22 and J-Lyons like this.
  11. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

So much hate on the forums right now, it's Xmas ffs!!

"Arrogant" that's rich.

"Modding or building doesn't take skill" So why the **** does this whole forum bother doing it and consistently receive support and recognition?

P.s. your case is bland. No surface finishing. You could have made it far more impressive tbh mate

Editor22 likes this.
  12. FannBlade

FannBlade What's a Dremel?

WOW! Very nice build.
    The Tormach 1100 is on my must have list next year along with their new lathe. I'm jealous.