1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress PROJECT Shuttle Prodigy X79 mATX>>>> 29DEC12 SUPER UPDATE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dmlindley, 24 Nov 2012.

1. Dmlindley

Dmlindley What's a Dremel?

PROJECT SHUTTLE PRODIGY

Welcome to my first ever project log! This project is going to be a blue and graphite color scheme

Here is the build setup:
    BitFenix Prodigy case
    Shuttle X79 motherboard
    Intel I7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E CPU
    16 GB (4X4) Patriot Memory 1866
    Power Color 2GB 7850
    OCZ ZX 1000W PSU
    OCZ Vector 256GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HD

Water Cooling setup:
    280 XSPC Radiator on top (possible using Koolance 280 rad shroud)
    240 XSPC Radiator in front
    MCP655 Pump
    EK 7850 GPU waterblock
    Heatkiller 3.0 2011 CPU waterblock

Will be sleeving all cables in Mod/Smart Kobra HD Carbon Fiber sleeving.

Here we go!

NOTE- This build is going to be powder coated and so I want to get all the cuts finished right off the bat (at least until I come across something that needs adjusting anyways...)

I am cutting out the side panels for windows and once I get the Koolance 280 Radiator Shroud, I will cut out the top of the case which will allow me to fit the 280 Radiator in and give the case a little bit more head space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This upcoming week I should recieve the 280 Radiator Shroud and then I can finish cutting the top out so the Radiator will fit nicely. I plan to start paint hopefully by the end of next week or the week following. Pretty much the entire chassis is going to be done in a deep blue. The side panels will be done in gunmetal gray along with the top radiator shroud.

MORE TO COME SOON!

Last edited: 29 Dec 2012
  2. Dmlindley

UPDATE 26NOV12

Alright here is the first update!

I am still waiting on the 280 rad shroud for the top but I did get a few things in the mail!

The 280mm XSPC Radiator
    [​IMG]

The Mod/Smart Kobra HD Carbon Fiber sleeving
    [​IMG]

A WHOLE BUNCH OF HEATSHRINK!
    [​IMG]

Thats all the new parts for now.

I have been brainstorming the best way to redo the front face panel. I was going to leave as is since it is mesh and air can pull through. However, the fact that you can see where the 5.25 device can go if you wish for one has been irritating me... And then I got it! I'll just replace all of it with a custom acrylic or polycarb panel!!! I got my drawing finished already for it. I think tomorrow I will actually cut out the whole front face so it's good to go.

Here is the sketch!
    [​IMG]

Until next time!!!

3. Dmlindley

29NOV12 Update! HUGE CASE UPDATE!!!

It's only been a few days and I've gotten a ton of work done on the case!

The top is pretty much all cut out, I have to do a little bit more with a Dremel at the back end of the case which I'll finish tonight and do some paint touch up. I have a few other idea's I might implement into the case if space permits but I'll save that for later in the log.

The entire front is cut out as well! I left only small sections at the corners for screw mounting holes for the new custom front panel.

Powder coated the entire case as well!!! the areas that I have to do touch up on won't be exposed at all so no big deal.

NOW TIME FOR PICTURES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the shroud going on top-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TA DA!!! New paint!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to have all the parts and such in the next update but I felt it was worth getting the new case pictures up. It won't be too long until I can start putting some hardware in this thing.

4. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

wooow, we got prodigy fever lately..

---edit---
    I just finished loading all your pics..
    will the "prodigy hand grip (mac look a like)" still fit with your rads shroud installed?

IMO, you'll lose the "prodigy style" if you're not using it.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2012
  5. Dmlindley

You ain't lying my friend! I know that for me personally, I jumped on it because I've always liked small factor builds and seeing the potential of the Prodigy case was worth giving a shot.

Yes the hand grips will fit on top with the shroud installed. However my plan is not to go with them (not concerned with keeping the style) I'm planning to actually cut the edges of the grip to use simply as trim. If the end product isn't desirable with the trim then ill replace it with a different material.

6. Dmlindley

3DEC12 UPDATE!

Ok so it's time for another update.

Got some hardware in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the M/B tray in the case does not fit the X79 Shuttle M/B... so those got chopped off and I made my own tray using polycarbonate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also fitted the top 280mm shroud and radiator on top to double check clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started assembly on some of the hardware and water blocks along with some cable sleeving

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the pump I wired 2 blue LED's to a single 3-pin power connector (making sure to solder in a 470 ohm 1/4w resistor)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next update will include progress with the side panels, continuing cable sleeving, and more lighting...

I hope this project will start to become as interesting to you all as it is to me :)

STAY TUNED!

7. Dmlindley

18DEC12 Update

Hello all!

It's been awhile since my last update. I've been very busy between work and the project. I have made quite a bit of progress though! I got the front panel done and have the build pretty much all together. Sleeving the cables and rad grills are pretty much all that is left. I was working on the m/b power cable today and broke my pin removal tool *bummer*. Got another one on order. Now for the pictures!!!

Prepping and painting the radiators-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I took some pictures of painting the rads blue but I can't find them

Did a little more cutting on the chassis for the PSU cables-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drilled some switch holes. Two rocker switches are for the lighting and the fighter pilot switch in the back is the power switch-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did away with the polycarb m/b tray and drilled out some regular m/b mounts-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wrapped the bottom piece of the case, decided to stick with it instead of other case feet-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wrapped the GPU backplate-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front panel wrapped as well-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled some LED holes in the back of the panel to illuminate the panel-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembled the front panel with rad and fans-

[​IMG]

Found a good place for the res-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More coming soon.

8. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Looks good :thumb:

What side of Vegas are you on? I live near Lakemead and Rainbow.

Did you have to drill your pump top for the LEDs or are there already spots for it?

Mal

9. Dmlindley

Thanks!

I'm near 95N and Ann rd. a little bit north of you.

The EK pump top already comes predrilled for LEDs which is way nice! The only thing I had to drill for LEDs was the front plate.

10. Dmlindley

UPDATE!!!!

Here is yet another update. Things have been going fairly well aside from a few set backs. First off my heat gun went up in smoke... that was a bummer. It was a sheap Kawasaki heat gun, it came with some great attachments but I guess the motor just wasn't up for moderate use. I got a new one already so on we go! Along with that I broke a pin on my ATX pin removal tool, those things are pretty easy to break and unfortunately I didn't have an extra on hand. Everything else is going pretty smooth. Well here is the progress so far!!!

Wrapped the rad shroud on top-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

started the loop assembly in the case-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

adding some dinoc on the board and hooking everything up-
    [​IMG]

That's all for now. I ordered new grills for the top rad and the front rad which will also be dinoc wrapped and am back to working on the cables with my new ATX pin tool. I also ordered the wrong pins by mistake and will have to order some more to finish the cables. hopefully will have this project finished within the next two weeks. Cheers!!! Happy New Year!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my external power adapter hooked up to test fans, lighting, and get the LC loop running.

[​IMG]

The cooling loop test
    [​IMG]

Using Mayhem's Nebula solution-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also placed BitFenix light strips at the top of the case facing down and here is a few pics of how the lighting turned out with everything in the case-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mizakoto likes this.
  11. Axoxenon

Axoxenon Do it right the first time

Surprised to see so few comments on this.

How are things going for you?

12. Hanoken

Hanoken O.O

nice nice, seriously, there is so many prodigy builds that i am tempted myself into joining that bandwagon :O but it wouldnt be as good as this though if I were to build one he he he... ever heard of Furganator (might be spelled wrong) on the forums? he also used the x79 shuttle mb for his prodigy build, i believe it was called "unobtainable"... really wish i could do something as cool as this. keep up the good work ! :rock::rock:

13. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

Not a big fan of carbon wrap... but this looks damn nice!! Well done so far! :)

14. Mizakoto

Mizakoto Problematica

awesome build man, very inspiring!! Keep up the good work!