1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to remove Catalyst auto-update notices

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

bit of useless function anyway. If it was 2 months since you updated graphics drivers then there are new ones available if you want them. The people that care about new drivers already know when they are due etc, and probably have a beta

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Lets hope nvidia do the same, I cant think there are many people who like software that phones home.
    Why they cant just provide a link so people can check for them self is beyond me

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'll second the call for less stuff that bugs you with update requesters.

The last time I rebooted this workstation, I was blandished with five different nags about various bits of software, none of them hugely important, which wanted an update. Gah. Go away!

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

If I'm honest, it would be quite nice if it was just one program that did updates for everything, not each program for itself.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Looks like that's what MS have in mind with Win8 and look at the fun that has provoked.

7. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Good - I've always found that massively irritating.

8. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I've always kept my my auto-update notifications for everything off. I tend to pick one day out of the week, tends to be a Tuesday where I just do a quick checklist of of all the programs on my pc as well as my OS updates and flash player/drivers. Reason being, I'd hate to be playing a game, especially online with friends and have some annoying popup minimize me outta what I'm playing. I think the only thing I have turned on to tell me when there is an update is Firefox and I set it to not download the update until I am ready, that notification never seems to be annoying or cause me to get minimized out of programs. I also normally don't game with a web browser open which is fine for me but for others who play BF3 and need battlelog running in the background, it could be an issue.