1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Help OCing a 3750k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fraze, 20 Dec 2012.

1. Fraze

Fraze Minimodder

Hey Guys

I've got the following rig which is running @ 3.8Ghz with XMP enabled on my memory modules.

I'd like to increase this oc, however i'm a total noob when it comes to this and am pretty scared about adjusting the bios setting incorrectly.

Does anyone have any experience with the following hardware combination that could give advice?

CPU: i5 3750k @ 3800MHz (38x100MHz) - voltage set to Auto
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
    Memory: 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis KHX1600C9D3/4GX PC3-10700 667 MHz (running @ 800Mhz via XMP 1.3)
    Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30

cheers!

Last edited: 20 Dec 2012
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

3. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

I've got my i7 3770K at 4.4GHz cooled with a H100i with the voltage set to auto and so far no games I've played which are demanding (Shogun 2, BFBC2) though I did get a BSOD while I had a few youtube tabs open on firefox. Not sure what it was about but I panicked and held down the power button to turn it off completely. Also melt something burn but I'm not sure what it was :/

Anyways back to topic. Any high-end air cooling can get an i5 3570K or i7 3770K up to 4.2GHz with voltages set on auto; this is called the "safest overclock" for these chips or so I've heard. To OC it even further just bump the multiplier on the BIOS to 42.

I take it since your OC is 3.8GHz you're just leaving that to Turbo to do the work yes? if so you might want to turn it off in the BIOS. I can't exactly help you on the BIOS stuff since I'm using an MSI motherboard with their different UI look but I'm sure another Bit-Tech guy can help you out here.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Leaving the core voltage on auto is not a good idea. The voltage will be set too high. Set it manually instead.

My 3570K/GA-Z77-D3H combo does 4.5GHz at 1.26V, with LLC on the middle setting.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Auto voltage is the stupidest way to overclock, As instead of 1.2 -1.3vcore you will have 1.5vcore as the mobo overcompensates hugely.

For the small overclock your aiming for, just up multi till you hit desired speed set vcore to 1.2vcore prime it, if it passes job done if not increas vcore to 1.25 try again.

6. Fraze

Fraze Minimodder

well the vcore is only on auto as those are the stock settings, I've not done anything apart from enable XMP on my memory modules which had the added effect of upping the CPU clock to 3.8 from 3.4.

MM VR would there be any chance of getting a readout of the bios settings youve got? i'm planning on trying to hit 4.4 or 4.5ghz

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

First, I disabled Turbo Boost, but left all power saving functions enabled. Then I set all voltages manually to their stock values to avoid them getting too high. Then I set LLC to the middle value (I think it's called "High", the two higher values being "Turbo" and "Extreme").

Then I set the multiplier to 40 for 4.0GHz, and increased with 1 at a time, Prime95ing after every increase. When it crashed I increased the core voltage. I ended up with a multiplier of 45 and a core voltage of around 1.25-1.26V.

8. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

What evidence have you got to prove that? Any specific tool you're using to detect the voltage because I would actually like to know :)