1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Internet dropping on router

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 3lusive, 19 Dec 2012.

1. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I'v recently moved my modem/router (Dlink DSL-2640B) into my bedroom and I have noticed that the internet is dropping on several occasions throughout the day - not all the time, just a couple of times (but still annoying).

The 'internet' light will typically drop and it wont come back on for a few minutes or until I reset the router.

It feels to me as though it's some kid of power saving mechanism, but I could be wrong. All other lights remain flashing, just the 'internet' one which stops.

No settings have been changed on the router since I'v moved it. Obviously, it's connected to a different phone socket now though...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

From my experience it could be the ISP dropping connection or there could be an issue with the phone line. I had the same problem with my IC but my issue was with the connection outside and the fact that I had it run trough a surge protector. I got told by the cable company that it should not be run through a surge protector. But that's just my experience. Hope it helps.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

The reason I doubt its TalkTalk is because its worked perfectly for years downstairs (on a different socket), and never dropping like it is now.

If it's the socket/line which is causing it, why would it cause it to intermittently drop instead of just not work at all?

It works perfectly most of the time just at random points the internet drops and I have to wait a couple of minutes or so for it to come back on.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

You could try asking your ISP to do a line test to your router. Also, see if you can get any logs or statistics out of the router.

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Raise this over on the community forums it will save you speaking to the usless call center and once the issue is fixed they can raise your line profile back instantly.

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

More than likely the socket/extension is not up to par for your internet connection. Either cheap/old cable, poorly connected at master or remote socket.

I run an extended line (self wired) but with properly rated cables and have never had an issue.

More than likely this, as you have had no issues until it was moved.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

try it backj in the socket it was originally in and see if you have the same problem, if you don't, it may be the extension socket causing the issue.

check the wiring and make sure only 2 and 5 are connected, definitely make sure that 3 isn't connected, this is the old bell wire, which causes interference for adsl broadband.

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Can I ask why did you move it to your bedroom?

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Thanks so far but just to reiterate...

I had no issues whatsoever with it being connected to the main phone socket downstairs, but with me moving back into the back bedroom it makes more sense for me to move the router with me as I'm the only one who uses the internet and I like to keep it close to my computer and xbox (so as to avoid using wireless and powerline adapters).

This cant be a TalkTalk/ISP thing as this has only just started happening since I moved it into my bedroom two weeks ago, and it is also not happening constantly just at random times throughout the day, and fairly infrequently but I still want it sorting.

I want to keep it in my bedroom because I live with my mum and I'm the only one who uses the internet, so I like the keep the router close to the computer/xbox so I can connect them via ethernet (I also fix computers in my spare time and I like to be able to just hook up easily without using wireless or powerline adapters). If I put the router back downstairs, I'd have to connect with a poor wireless connection or run powerline adapters across two floors. I really don't want to do this and want to keep it in my room for practical reasons.

Like I'v said, it works absolutely fine for the most part and the speeds/pings I'm getting on speedtest.com are exactly the same as before. It's just annoyingly dropping at random times which is what I can't fathom.

As has been suggested, I think this will more than likely be a socket/extension thing as this the socket its connected to now had been put in via by an electrician a few years ago.

What do I need to look for in the socket to see if it's that? Thanks

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

as I said check the cables in the sockets, and make sure only 2 and 5 are connected. if you are getting the same speeds as before there isn't much wrong with the cable, but if connection 3 is connected, this will cause a slow down, and or dropouts, if it is connected, just pull it out. you may find your speed increases.

3lusive likes this.
  11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

OK bear with me. I'v just unscrewed the backplate and this is what I see:

[​IMG]

So I need to just remove the 3 connection right?

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I'm trying to take the orange wire out but the bloody screw is jammed tight. Will it matter if I just cut the wire off?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

EDIT: And this appears to be what my master socket looks like: [​IMG]

Looks messy and old, I know, but does the wire connected to 3 have to be removed here also? And to any other phone sockets around the house?

Last edited: 20 Dec 2012
  13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

no cut the wire is fine

14. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I'v cut the wire so let's see how this goes... I also edited the above post.

EDIT: And it's just dropped again. Dropped for about 1 minute then came back on. So whatever is causing it probably wasn't to do with the bell wire, unless having it connected at the master (or other sockets) affects it but I'm sure I disconnected it there too.

Somethig else I will add is that the DSL light remains lit - it's just the 'internet' light on the router that cuts. Just adding that in case it helps.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2012
  15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if its just the internet light that drops, but adsl stays on, its more than likely a router or isp server issue.

again on the master, you only want 2 and 5 connected

16. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I'v just witnessed it cut out again fully. I was wrong. The DSL light does in fact go off when the internet light goes off, but then it flashes rapidly before turning solid again. It kind of cycles until it remains solid and then the internet light goes on.

So the connection does in fact seem to be cutting out literally (the router isn't receiving an adsl signal when it drops). I must have just looked at it when the DSL light had gone solid just before the internet went on when I looked previously.

Damn. Well tomorrow I'll remove the other wires that are connected in anything but 2 and 5 on the master - as you can see from the pic there are some with two wires connected - but other than that I'm stumped :(.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if you have sky make sure its connected to phoneline via a filter, you could try replacing the filter, and make sure any phone socket that has something plugged into it is on a filter, if all else fails, before phoning the isp, put the router back where it was and leave it for a while to see if it still drops, your isp will only tell you to do this anyway, so you will be able to say, done that already.

18. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I actually dont have sky. Yep, I'm going to change the microfilters. It's actually not cut out yet today but it seems to be worse at night so let's see.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

dropping at night, might indicate an isp oversubscription

20. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

It's not dropped all yesterday and today, but if it does I'll post back here. Thanks.