1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New Build, well impressed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Swanny, 21 Dec 2012.

1. Swanny

Swanny What's a Dremel?

hi all

1st i'm hoping this is the right forum, my build was a bit tame for the modding/project forums.

I'd like to say thanks to the couple of people on here that gave me advice towards the build. :thumb:
    All i can say it EPIC,

Not really put the system through its paces but so far is has laughed at everything i have thrown at it.

Current Build.

Asus crosshair v formula 990 FX ROG motherboard.

AMD FX 8350 8 core 4ghz black edition processor

Corsair H70 water cooler with coolmaster sickleflow 120mm fans

16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1866 RAM

XFX HD7950 3ghz graphics card....... Just fitted in my case with 10mm to spare

corsair 120GB SSD drive running windows7

Seagate 2 Tera HDD

all powered by a Corsair HX850M PSU

A full AMD build.

thanks again guys

Swanny :D

Last edited: 26 Dec 2012
  2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Pretty good build. Although I'd always tell people to go for an Intel CPU and mobo nowadays. AMD's latest offerings just aren't as good as intels. Unless you're doing some Multi-threaded stuff.

3. Swanny

Swanny What's a Dremel?

i was looking at intel to start with, like an i5 or i7, but when i looked at the value for money side, well.

The AMD FX8350 4.0ghz 8 core 16MB cache is the flag ship ready for over clocking. got it from new for £150, compared to Intels I5's that are max of 3.4 ghz Quad core, 6 mb cache for the same price.

Im not disagreeing Intel are good chips, im just an old school AMD for gaming Intel for for everything else kind of guy.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Weird since bulldozers are pretty awful for gaming and ok for everything else :worried:

fuus likes this.
  5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Hmmm was this a case of 'it's a bigger number so it must be better' thinking?

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

AMD's performance is good as intels in the right conditions. Just requires a monumental amount of power and the right work load. Gaming, while not insanely CPU demanding is perfectly fine on even core 2 gen parts currently. If games finally go multithreaded with next gen consoles AMD processors could actually be very good. Then again as Tom's very nicely put it in there "Does Windows 8 Help Improve Bulldozer's Performance? "

either way nice build and continue enjoying!

7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I don't think it'll disappoint you performance wise. My FX-8150 machine still keeps me smiling.

If everybodys machine was the same the PC universe would be pretty dull.

8. Swanny

Swanny What's a Dremel?

This thread has got out of hand.

i only really posted to say thanks to the advice that i was given from some of the forum members, if people looked at my amount of post and my previous threads they would see this is my first gaming build.

i use to have them built for me but thought i would give it a go, i've always had AMD chips never had an intel so why would i jump ship when i have always been happy with the CPU's ive used in the past??

im a self confessed noob to PC building but is the FX 8350 not the new piledrive not Bulldozer? or is the pile driver just an update from bulldozer?

Anyway

Thanks to the forum members advice and help towards my final build

Swanny

Last edited: 23 Dec 2012
  9. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Nothing to worry about. That system is more than equipped for any task you'll throw at it, and the best thing is that you're happy with it.

I recently built a machine based around the AMD FM1 A8-3670k APU. That thing kills it. I'm using it at an HTPC/Low-end TV gaming rig and it works surprisingly well.

10. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Kendall mint cake

11. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

FX-8350 is piledriver, is an update to bulldozer, and is better than bulldozer.

and ... Damn you Somer Himpson, I'm craving a Kendal mint cake sugar rush now !

Honestly, Swanny, you'll be very happy with that rig. I'm also using a HD7950 and it's a great card for gaming. The only thing I'd suggest if you've got decent speakers or headphones, get a soundcard too. Even the cgeap Xonar DG made a massive improvement over my sabretooth's on-board

12. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Nice set up Swanny :thumb:

I'm looking to use AMD ITX in my next build for a HTPC / gaming rig; and I've only ever bought intel before.

13. Swanny

Swanny What's a Dremel?

A soud card didn't even think of one, i've been using onboard sound for years, think i will get that after xmas.

thanks for the reminder :D

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Worked great for me. Make sure you pick up an aftermarket cooler, as the stock AMD cooler sounds like a jet engine. It's insanely loud. At least the one that comes with the APUs is. I'm not sure if there's a difference.