1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Unreesponsive on mouse stuff

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by tehBoris, 24 Dec 2012.

1. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I've got a little annoying problem that I'm hoping some one can give suggestions as to what the underlying problem is or possible solutions (or both, the or is not exclusive). Systems specs follow. There is currently no overclock.

Specs:
    MB: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    CPU: i7 930
    RAM: 12GB DDR3 CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9
    Graphics cards: nVidia EVGA GTX570 Classified + nVidia 9800GT+
    Sound cards: Integrated + Creative USB X-Fi Go! Pro
    Storage: 1TB Seagate some thing + 4 x 80GB Seagate some thing cheap in RAID 0.
    OS Windows 7 64bit.

Any way, the problem is this:
    After some amount of the system been busy (playing a game for example) doing things with the mouse (Logitech G500) causes the system to hang. So moving the course continuously will cause this as well as putting the mouse wheel into frictionless mode and giving it a good spin.

This has been happening for a while but I have yet to determine the cause or combination of things that cause this.

This started happening some time between getting the mouse, upgrading the graphics card, upgrading the RAM and getting the USB sound card. All of these things happened in a very short space of time.

I have tried different graphics cards and it still happens so I am reasonably confident it has little to nothing to do with the graphics card.
    Switching to the old RAM isn't really an option as they have now been used else where.
    Unplugging USB devices (or any thing else) does not make the problem go away while the system is running. Rebooting fixes this however.

For fun I've also tried increasing the voltage on the CPU and RAM slightly on the off chance that they are some how not getting enough power.

This occurred a few minute ago while playing Orcs Must Die! 2. It happened after 6 hours of play. The thing that changed after 6 hours is that I jumped on TeamSpeak, so I'm currently very suspicious of the sound card (and it's drivers).

To demonstrate the effect on the system here is a screen shot of performance monitor. Notice the gaps in the graph, that's when I was moving the cursor continuously. Strangely enough the actual cursor on screen is unaffected by this and continues to move (it's a hardware cursor so doesn’t need the operating system fully working to move about?).

[​IMG]

Originally I thought this was some thing to do with the RAM as I discovered that the RAM timings had been reset by some thing. After changing them back it seemed to stop happening. Since then it's started happening again (did some thing change? I don't know, forever tinkering with things, so probably).

What I will be trying is the following all at once to make the problem go away. If the problem goes away try reverting once change at a time over a period of days. Then if the problems occurs again after one change undo that again and see if the problem then disappears. The following changes are going to be made:
    Stop using the USB sound card.
    Clearing the BIOS CMOS and setting the minimum settings to have the RAM running at the right speed and get the RAID working.

Suggestions? Ideas? Best wishes? Condolences? All are welcome.

2. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Do you have another mouse to test with?

3. tehBoris

That's a good point. Never thought of that on the grounds of "How could a mouse cause the computers CPU to stop processing?".
    Worth a shot. I think the polling rate of the mouse will determine the severity of it's effects.

4. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

whens its 'locks up' what happens if you: ctrl-alt-del-->task manager ???

5. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

In my life I've learnt to expect the unlikely and include it in my trouble shooting.

In fact a mouse 'could' do it; although I see it as being unlikely today. IIRC a CPU will go about it's business as usual until an "interrupt" is triggered. In this event it holds what it's doing and deals with what triggered the alarm. e.g. peripheral input. In this case mouse moves, CPU halts, deals with mouse input (click/movement) and then continues what it was processing previously. The interrupt request is usually so trivial that you don't notice the system has halted for a moment.
    Now theoretically speaking if the mouse or some other device was sending a halt signal for extended periods of time your computer would hang during those periods.

I hope that makes sense. At the end of the day there's no harm in easing your mind by eliminating the mouse itself as a possibility.

6. tehBoris

I suspect nothing will happen on the grounds that processing has stopped (to the point that performance monitor no longer gathers information).
    Will give it a go the next time it happens.

7. tehBoris

This makes sense.
    As you mentioned the interrupts from the user should be such a light weight operation that the system should remain operational at all times.
    Will try a different (PS2 and USB!) to see if these have the same problem.

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Remember to unplug the suspect mouse. Not simply plug in the others beside it.

9. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

ctrl-alt-del is more low level on the cpu than the monitoring software ..hence the suggestion.

10. tehBoris

To keep you guys up to date. This hasn't happened since i cleared the CMOS and changed the minimum settings to get the system running again (including RAM speeds).
    This includes several hours of Chivalry and Planetside 2.

I'll let you know if and when.

Thanks for the advice. :)

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Have you got the Logitech SetPoint software installed?

Maybe try it without, I'm not convinced it's a great program and the only reason I'm keeping it installed for now is the changeable sensitivities, although it doesn't always work for some reason, so I may just scrap setPoint.