1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs 37-42inch tv

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Archtronics, 25 Dec 2012.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Hi

Any recommendations around the 400-500 mark, 3D would be nice but I doubt I would use it.
    Will be used for general tv, Xbox and I'm a huge film fan so lots of films.

Thanks all

P.s I Work in pcworld and get 10% discount so might be able to spend £550

2. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

Had an email from richer sounds for a Samsung ue40es5500 smart tv for 429.
    Highly recommend them as a store to buy from. I love my Samsung that I have.

3. suragh

suragh Derp

I have bought various video/audio equipment from Richer sounds and they have excellent services.

As for televisions, make sure its Full HD and not HD ready. Samsung and LG in the past have been my favourite manufacturers for televisions.

As for suggestions, mine are a little outdated and I can't give you any proper recommendations for 3d etc so im sorry.

Merry xmas also :D

4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Cheers will have a look into those, Will a difference in hz between 50hz and 100hz have a noticeable effects?

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Generally turn off any processing that artificially inflates the refresh speed, as you get this truly horrible 'smooth' effect that makes everything look terrible. As such, ignore the marketing speak about anything over 50/60Hz and make sure you turn it off when you get it!

Personally, I would buy Sony or Samsung. Richer Sounds also get a vote for getting hands on with a set - I've bought a bunch of AV kit from them over the years (Onkyo receiver, 2x BD players, 32" Sony BRAVIA, surround/centre speakers).

7. Booti

Booti Minimodder

I would also suggest Richer Sounds. Even if you don't buy from them they will give you good advise and let you test stuff.
    Personally for me I would suggest either LG or Samsung for an LED tv, or Panasonic if you are going plasma.

Most places will try to suggest that 3D tv's will give you a better image as they have a higher refresh rate, but it's all marketing.
    Also if you are going 3D, carefully consider the cost of glasses and how many pairs you need / get with the tv. Active systems generally only give you 1 pair and cost a lot for additional pairs. Passive systems can have 4 pairs in the box and cost about £10 each to replace.

8. Cozmo87

Cozmo87 "huh hurmm!!!"

i total agree with this, samsung's my number one, i just like the look but the new smart LG are a bit better i thing then Samsung only at the mo tho. 3d nice but will you use it thats the question!!! thinks hard and realistically hell i hardly use Blu ray.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hardly use BD? Why? DVD looks horrible scaled up to 1080p - my film collection is now entirely BD discs, with about 200 of them.

To be honest, if you're not going to watch a HD video source on a HD TV just go back to using an SD screen.

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

At that price I would suggest a Panasonic plasma TV best picture for money @ 42"-46"

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Samsung are good

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Lg and Samsung both have tvs in this bracket, view them in store and buy online will save at least £100 on most models.

We recently got a new 42inch lg tv for a bedroom and saved £120 going online vs Currys price for the exact same tv.

13. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

LG LM620T LED 3d & Smart all in your budget.