1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyndre, 27 Dec 2012.

1. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

I'm hoping to move into a new business venture with a friend and as such have to consider re purposing my pc to meet our new needs.
    I'd appreciate if anyone can give me any advice on any key components that might be suited to an upgrade without losing my current gaming capability.

The new function will include coding for Unity, Houdini and Maya. I recently moved my kit into a new Caselabs M8 so I have room for expansion. I also swapped out my 128GB Vertex 3 for a 256GB Samsung 840 (Partly due to stability problems and locking up under load).
    The current rig is more or less in my sig:

Caselabs M8
    i7 2600k cpu
    Maximus IV Mainboard P67
    8GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 RAM (This def needs to go upto 16GB)
    2 X EVGA GTX580 Hydrocopper 2 (Custom water loop)
    256GB Samsung 840 SSD
    1 TB WD Caviar Black HDD
    1 TB Samsung F3 HDD
    Asus Xonar Essence Soundcard
    LG Blu-Ray Drive

Dell u2711 Monitor
    LG 24" VP Secondary monitor

4TB WD Livebook Duo Nas RAID 1

Atm I'm considering a possible move to an X79 board with an 8 core CPU. Be handy to pass down any kit to my wife for a new build for her as well.

Would greatly appreciate any advice anyway. The whole thing is under water and would prob be looking at £1500 max in upgrade costs.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Are you sure the coding program's you mensioned even need a 6core CPU or 16gb of ram.

Maya needs the 64bit version and is 4cpu only
    Houdini needs 64bit version and is once again 4cpu cores.
    Unity still has no working 64bit version is limited to 2gb ram and 4 CPU cores.

Photo video work is where you would see benifits from more than 4cores.

If it was my system I'd put that cash towards 8gb more ram and be happy.

Dou't I'd spend the £6-800+ to go x79 if you used parts from your machine, just not enough gain for the cost.

Performance benifits on the program's you listed are small if any.

3. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Cheers, kinda confirms what I've started to see doing some research on it. there does seem to be a gain to be had by expanding to 16GB RAM for the vfx apps at least.

I think some data storage expansion might round it out as 2TB won't last long. I saw bit tech are recommending stagnate on builds in the latest buyers guide. Are they now significantly better than WD's offering? Was thinking adding a couple more high capacity red's.