1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Corsair H55?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Loafers, 28 Dec 2012.

1. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

So I've been planning out my micro-atx computer and the only thing I'm stumped on is cooling. Here's what my the build looks like so far:
    1. ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    2. Seasonic 460W Fanless ATX12V Fanless 80Plus PLATINUM Certified, Modular Power Supply
    3. Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155
    4. Kingston120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive
    5. GeForce GT 610 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    6. Silverstone TJ08B-E
    As you can see, I've been aiming for a relatively quiet build for work. I have no plans on OCing; despite this, water cooling addresses the problems of noise, space, and overall elegance. Right now I have my sights set on the Corsair H55, but seeing how it's new and relatively untested, I was wondering if there are any other alternatives I should be looking at.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Anandtech has just tested a bevy of closed-loop liquid coolers from Corsair and NZXT, including the H55. Personally, I'm still wary of liquid cooling and bought a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo for my next system. Should be equally as quiet and only about half the price of the H55.

3. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

thanks for the link and the hyper 212 evo suggestion — appreciate it!

just curious, why are you wary of water coolers :S? accident :(?

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Pretty much, yes. Liquids and electronics just don't mix well in my book. :)

5. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

lmfao i just noticed your sig XD

Last edited: 28 Dec 2012
  6. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I have that exact case with the cooling and hardware from my sig. I fold part time on my pc but when I'm not the pc is always below 35db and that is mainly the gpu fans. If you can find a decent push pull air cooler with "silent fans" it will be better and possibly quieter than a lower range closed loop water cooler.

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Truth be told either the motherboard or the PSU (but more likely the former) gave up the ghost. No liquid was involved in this particular PC-cide. :)

8. Swanny

Swanny What's a Dremel?

Does it have to be a H55? the H60 is the same radiator size as the H55 (to be truthful i cant see the difference, but i presume there is 1?).

I use the H70i with 2 x 120mm coolmaster sickle fans is really good but the radiator is 11 mm wider then the 55 and 60 and also uses upto 2 fans it was supplied with 1 fan, I fitted the second as it fitted into a gaming rig so could be to deep for you.

Have you looked at Antec?? there Antec KUHLER H2O 620 CPU Liquid Cooler 2 has the exact radiator dimensions as the H55 and H60 hhmmm both are 120mm x 152mm x 27mm coincidence ??? it also comes with a 3 year warranty.

Swanny

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

According to the Anandtech test the H55 works better than the H60.

"Unfortunately, part of the reason the H55 looks so good is because the H60 performs so poorly."

10. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

If you are not oc'ing, either the h55 or the h60 will be sufficient.

But as noise is your main concern, I do recommend swapping out all the stock fans for some quiet fans, including the ones on the h55/60. A system is only as quiet as it's loudest fan, which is probably going to be the one attached to you gpu.