1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors First Car!

Discussion in 'General' started by fuus, 27 Dec 2012.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Hmmm. Time for some phone calls!

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

At this time of night? I don't think so. :lol:

3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I was speaking relatively! Not later on this morning either. Damn.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

also unless you have to declare your opening mileage for your policy, I strongly suggest setting the minimum amount of mileage, as this vastly increases the quote.

Also it might be worth opting in for a black box and nursing the crap out of the car during the first few years. i.e no hard braking, turning or acceleration.

5. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Gotta love the USA for this. I learned on an 83 Camaro big v8 however I paid I think 1200 a year for insurance with minimal coverage.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

This. A million times this.

As long as you're not one of those people the wants to go for a drive at crazy hours Fuus, a black box would save you a nice bit of money. :)

7. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

:lol:

Looked into quotes yesterday for a 2003 1.4 Diesel Mini One. Cheapest I got was £2500 even with black box policies. Ironically the black box policies were not the cheapest!

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Why such a new car? You've basically taken the advice of the forum and gone the opposite direction! lol!

9. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Well, the car comes at a very low cost, I.E. free

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

nothings free, lol! It'll have a cost even if its from a family member as they'll hold you under their thumb on everything.

Sure you can object to doing the washing up, but then who gave you a car etc...

11. Springs

Springs Boing boing

one thing that rises costs are the "popular" boy racer imaged cars..

try looking at other makes / models that an average boy racer wouldn't get.

The problem is as well no matter what you do, in this day and age your first insurance policy is going to be expensive..

I know people that paid £3500 for their first policy but then went down to nearly half that after a year..

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

As has been said before thinking outside the box is the way to go, there are triplets who live next to me and the boy insures a modified classic mini cheaper than the two girls who have a Clio and Fiesta each. Can't really get a better comparison than that!

I'm shocked how much insurance has gone up by though, not surprised by all the 'no win no fee' whiplash claims these days though.

13. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Half of that is still more than I'd like to pay :D

Last edited: 1 Jan 2013
  14. KidMod-Southpaw

That did make me lol.

All I'm thinking Fuus is that the money you initially save on the car is being blown on the first year of insurance, because you're still going to be paying more. :)

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

See this is where I am have a slight issue. If your parents are willing to give you a mini, and are clearly well off enough to own an Aston then why are you complaining about the cost of insurance and not having deep enough pockets for a defender?

I think the real problem here is "image", and frankly if you want cheap car insurance at your age "image" has to go out the window.

If your friends have nice cars, that means they've got deeper pockets so don't try to keep up appearances.

Might I also note, if your chasing girls as a single guy then it doesn't matter what car you have, because if their not going to look past the wheels you have then its not worth the time in such people.

/RANT

16. rollo

rollo Modder

£2500 on the car you listed was cheap fuss.

First car i owned i got quoted some £5000 first party insurance as only driver, Fiesta rs 1.4 ( got it given free also) Even with 2 parents on the insurance it only come down to £2800 for first year dropped to £1200 in second year.

Car was not even worth £5k at the time. My mechanic m8 said 2k was about the max of its worth so i was going to write it off 2.5times in the first year acording to the insurance quotes i was given lol.

All Image cars cost a fortune to insure, im 27 now and still paying a nice chunk of change for insurance. (porsche rs 3 costs me currently £5k a year to insure and thats living in a decent part of the country with garage / alarmed garage ect on limited miles a year below 5k miles basically with 10 years no claims.)

Some of my friends have got quoted in excess of £10000 before for insurance on some image cars ( ferraris aston martins ect ) and these are all second hand cars.

Insurance is the bane of driving. Once you hit 25 if you have 8 years no claims ish you can get some nice deals on familly cars. But if your still after image cars like i listed above the prices are still high.

17. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

No no no, my parents don't own an Aston. (the Aston is owned by my Uncle who is a CEO of a large company) We have a Volkswagen Passat and a Ford Focus..

EDIT: Trust me, I don't give two s***s about image.

18. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Don't do this - every MOT the mileage is recorded in a central database. When the car ownership is transferred, the mileage is recorded then too. If you got into an accident it would be trivial for the insurance company to check the mileage.

If you really want to get cheap insurance, get a classic car. Classic car policies are ridiculously cheap. All hatchbacks are going to cost a fortune to insure.

19. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Its the third party cover which is the expensive bit for the insurers and so it really doesn't matter how expensive the car is just how likely it is to be the cause of a crash.
    Hence any 17 year old is expensive and 25 year olds with very fast cars even more so.

20. GMC

GMC Minimodder

This is why 4x4 insurance is expensive. Your 2 tonne defender will make a mess of that pretty new Audi that just cut you up, but you hit the back of him, even if he slammed on the anchors and your old defenders brakes weren't as effective... Well, then its your fault and your insurance has to cover it...

Stay low power, stay unfashionable, stay small, stay alarmed. That is the best way to keep premiums down. Postcode makes a huge difference and you can't help that if your area is costly.

Classic policies often don't build no claims so be wary. Limit lileage if you can, it sometimes shaves some £s off. Notional average is about 12k so if you expect less, do it.

Don't buy anything remotely nonstandard. Modifications are a £ sign to the insurance sharks. Also declare use. Policies get more expensive as you move from SDP, through commuting, to business use and ultimately carrying saleable stock.

Maintain the car yourself and join the owners club, they often have a deal with some brokers or underwriters. Declare all of these things... If you are maintaining then you are less likely to be driving a dangerous vehicle due to lack of funds to pay a £40-50 per hour mechanic. And you will learn more. I personally don't think you should be on the road without being able to perform a basic fluid and filter service, wheel change and at least understand how the brakes work and be able to assess roadworthiness of same.

Sorry didn't plan to rant

fuus likes this.