1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards GA-Z68AP-D3 & CPU Advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Groovedude, 31 Dec 2012.

1. Groovedude

Groovedude Minimodder

Hi There Bit-Tech team,

it's been a long while since i've upgraded my cpu socket.
    I am still using my trusty Q6600, now the time has risen for me to upgrade, here is the motherboard i have got my hands on:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...r3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-atx

What im curious about is there any issue with me using a i5 from either IvyBridge range or SandyBridge. is it just a case of following the recomended list.

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3897

and matching the correct model code? I don't really remember going through such tasks in the pasts. :jawdrop:

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Yep, pretty much. Be aware though that Z68 based boards such as yours may need a BIOS update before they will support Ivy Bridge CPUs so if you wish to go down that route, you may need to borrow a Sandy Bridge CPU to update the BIOS first.

3. Groovedude

Groovedude Minimodder

Ah thats good to know, so as I only have a q6600 would be worth just getting a sandy bridge, so I don't have any hassle.

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

It would be the route I would take to be honest. Performance wise, I don't think much is in it really and you can easily pick up a used chip fairly cheaply.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2012
  5. Groovedude

Groovedude Minimodder

Thanks for the advise. :)... i shall be on the hunt for a decent priced i5 SB. lol